Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tepms in the 80's wind 0-5 from the east Sky clear 5:00pm to 7:00pm

Stopped by Belleau today. Satarted up the west side throwing senk's pop-r and a jitter bug and only one hit. I was starting to think there were no big fish in the lake (I did see many tiny bass in the rocks near the shore so that's a good sign). I walked back to the west side by the south pool and caught a bluegill that was no bigger than the senko was. Then just as I was about to leave I hooked a nice 12" bass he hit the senko like a train then made one big jump. So I guess there are some fish in the lake.... :D

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I've never fished this lake since I thought that it was not worth my time. Thanks for the report.

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Belleau is a very pretty little lake. The water is blue/clear and the drop-offs are huge. If you walk to the north end of the lake where it is shallow you'll see huge carp and goldfish.

I'd like to see a couple of us work Belleau a few times to see what the bass population really is like. After all, it is only 10 minutes from Axehead. Maybe i'll give it a go this week.

Thanks for the report Mike.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I was thinking of trying it too. I do have quite a few minnows left over from the Glen these past couple days...I might try Wednesday. It's a nice bike ride from my house.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
It is a very hard lake to fish. Ultra lite tackle is a must with the clarity of the water and the pressure the lake recives. Smallies are stocked in there and I bet if you can cast far enough and get deep enough you could have some fun. Personally, I only fish it for trout in spring and fall with the rest of the meat fishermen.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The drop offs are covered with rocks. Maybe a good spot to try a crank bait..... run it allong the rocky drop offs...The north pool did have some carp floating around. I did also see a few fish jumping. So there are fish in there just not sure how many. There were about 8 people fishing today. One guy must have also caught a nice one because I heard all his buddies going wild at one point. I was to far away to see what he caught.

I caught the bass on the first twitch after letting it hit the bottom.
Set up was a wacky rigged pumpkin /w black & green flake (#196)

I'll be there every Monday for the next 2months if you want to come out.

My son has football practice at northwest park and like the good dad I am
instead of watching a 2 hour practice :roll: (I have never missed a game though)

I go fishing :wink:

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Alrighty then, Monday's at Belleau it is. What time is practice/fishing?

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Phil, i've also taken my bike from Niles to Belleau. Where in Niles are you?

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
You're an easy bike ride from Belleau. I'm by Devon and Milwaukee. About 23 minutes by bike (Touhy to Busse Rd to Belleau Lake).

Though I may fish there before then, I say we make next Monday (August 28th) a mini-WCF evening outing at Belleau. Who's in? Come on guys, we've made Axehead, Glen, and Deep Lake productive. Let's give Belleau a shot!

5:30pm?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've been looking into lures for Belleau. I think that if there are some deep water bass in there, we should really try something like a jigging spoon...something like a 1/2 oz Hopkins Shorty.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jason I'll be there from 5:00pm to 7:00pm

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Mondays aren't good for me, since I work late. I may go there tomorrow to give it a try.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I might make it after work, I dont expect much from this lake but if a bunch of us hit it we just might do well. Also I read that they have smallies in there also, but I will believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
phil said:
I've been looking into lures for Belleau. I think that if there are some deep water bass in there, we should really try something like a jigging spoon...something like a 1/2 oz Hopkins Shorty.
heh-heh... there's that top 50 lure article cited again! =P Glad someone is doing their homework though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts