Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the WWD this morning. Got there just before sunrise. I wasn't as lucky with the entrance as FishThoughts was yesterday: the chains were up so I had to park and hike. I stayed until about 10:15am. A couple pairs of fisherman came and went, but all-in-all it was very quiet in terms of people fishing. I just saw rootpro's report, and it sounds like more folks showed up later.

I managed to pick up 3 LMB, all on everybody's favorite plastic worm (3" variety...the 5" didn't get touched). I had a soft tape measure this time, which is a nice reality check. I only measured the largest one, which was 14.5 inches. I'm guessing the other two were around 11 or 12", but thinner than the big-guy. In one of my prior posts I stated that I thought i got a 16 incher, but now that I have an accurate basis for comparison, it was probably more like 14.5".

I also missed two good hits. The worm came out on the hook-set both times, and I was scratching my head...then realized my texas rig had gotten fouled and the hook was buried too deeply in the worm to be effective. I've got to remember to check the rig more often.

One interesting observation : I fished all the way from the grate to the creek with polarized sunglasses on, and there seemed to be less decent sized bass today then my other two outings in the past couple weeks. More were moving in as time went on. I probably should have stuck around longer.

I did see a decent pike sunning itself on some rocks. He was probably 18 to 20" if I had to guess. I stuck my plastic worms, a storm wildeye split-tail minnow, and a Mepps #1 Aglia right in front of his face...he wanted no part of any of it.

Anyhoo, it was nice to get out.

-bartmandude

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip prince. i've never used banjos, thinking they were just another BS infomercial bait. I stand corrected. Now I feel guilty...my dad bought some last year and I kinda smirked at him. I suppose I should do the right thing and eat crow. :wink:

-bartmandude

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Bartmandude yeah you sure right about no bass there. I didn't see any except one decent sized bass cruising around. The rest were all in the 11 inch range well besides the ones past the gravel bars where we can't fish of course. We need some water so we can get some bass moving in again. Its so shallow by the entrance to salt creek its so shallow that if a bass tried to enter it would come out of the water almost. Lol.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys. I can't believe I forgot to mention this, but there was a dude ice-fishing on the high-side of the dam. Looking around, I could see plenty of those dark spots that tell you that the ice ISN"T thick enough. I kept thinking :

a) wow, that's hard-core
b) man, I hope he's careful
b) if I see him fall in, I'll call 911, but I'm there's no freakin way running out there to try and save his crazy ass.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Nice report! Glad you made it out.

Damn, I think you did well with a 14.5" bass out of there. It's been tough for me to get those suckers to bite. I definitely think time of day has an impact - early mornings are tough. I noticed a pick-up as you get to noon.

Thanks for reporting. Hope to see you out there some day.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Fishthoughts. I've come to the conclusion that pulling a fish above 14" is really rare there. I've gone three times in the past two weeks for roughly 13 hours total, and (now having measured one with my handy-dandy 99 cent bass-pro-shops tape measure), I'm only convinced two fish broke the 14" mark, and that's with managing to hook the bigger ones I've seen in the water. Augy, I think you should push the issue and enforce the lower 12" limit stated in your "rules" post for the WWD tourneys. It'd make things more competitive in my opinion.

·
Registered
65 Posts
bartmandude said:
Hit the WWD this morning. Got there just before sunrise. I wasn't as lucky with the entrance as FishThoughts was yesterday: the chains were up so I had to park and hike. I stayed until about 10:15am. A couple pairs of fisherman came and went, but all-in-all it was very quiet in terms of people fishing. I just saw rootpro's report, and it sounds like more folks showed up later.

I managed to pick up 3 LMB, all on everybody's favorite plastic worm (3" variety...the 5" didn't get touched). I had a soft tape measure this time, which is a nice reality check. I only measured the largest one, which was 14.5 inches. I'm guessing the other two were around 11 or 12", but thinner than the big-guy. In one of my prior posts I stated that I thought i got a 16 incher, but now that I have an accurate basis for comparison, it was probably more like 14.5".

I also missed two good hits. The worm came out on the hook-set both times, and I was scratching my head...then realized my texas rig had gotten fouled and the hook was buried too deeply in the worm to be effective. I've got to remember to check the rig more often.

One interesting observation : I fished all the way from the grate to the creek with polarized sunglasses on, and there seemed to be less decent sized bass today then my other two outings in the past couple weeks. More were moving in as time went on. I probably should have stuck around longer.

I did see a decent pike sunning itself on some rocks. He was probably 18 to 20" if I had to guess. I stuck my plastic worms, a storm wildeye split-tail minnow, and a Mepps #1 Aglia right in front of his face...he wanted no part of any of it.

Anyhoo, it was nice to get out.

-bartmandude
Bart, when the bass move in do they come in from the creek or from the tunnel? billyk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
billyk said:
Bart, when the bass move in do they come in from the creek or from the tunnel? billyk
I wish I knew Billy...I've never actually witnessed a migration in either direction. I tend to be scanning small areas as I walk the shoreline, and I was just noticing more fish as time went on. I'm not really sure which direction they came from. If I had to guess, I'd say they came up from the creek, but who knows, maybe they do call the tunnel "home".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.