Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my annual trip down to my dads house in FLA the 21st - 28th. He lives about an hour south of Tampa.

It has been colder in Florida this winter so in turn the water was a little cooler then it normally is. The fish didn't start to move until 9 - 10 once the sun was higher in the sky. These lakes/ ponds are pretty clear with 5-7 feet of visibility. This year I opted to just send some plastics, a couple spinners, and a couple Sammys. The weeds are normally so thick this is all you can throw, not this year due to the cooler weather. That sucked a little I would have liked to throw some traps but we still caught plenty of fish. We fished mostly from canoe and kayaks but took a 14' skiff out a couple times. I planned on taking a lot more pictures of scenery to paint a better picture but I guess I was too involved with fishing.

All of these bass came on the biggest rage tail anaconda in a few colors.

My girlfriend put a hurting on me for the first three days catching her PB at 24.5" and 6.5 lbs.

fish pimp

When I went to lip this fish there was another just as big with her. which Julie lost on the next cast.

Here's a couple of the big girls I bagged in a half hour of each other. I lost one bigger that had me beat from the get go.

24.25" 6.25 lb

This big girl exploded on my worm as soon as it hit the water. She was sitting in about a foot of water right on shore. She actually broke water hitting the bait and sent a wave up on shore.

fish pimp

I couldn't believe she was still hungry after eating this 9-10" bass.

I did a little salt water fishing on some flats. We paddled through some mangrove caves to get out to the flats.

again the cooler water had the weeds down and the fish somewhere else. Plus I have no clue what the hell I'm doing out there. I worked gulp shrimp on a 1/4 oz jig in the deeper holes. a couple Seatrout saved me from the skunk.

One of locals showing me how it's done

Flipper came by with kid in tow to wish us a safe trip.

It's always a incredible trip and a great way to break up the last bit of winter. I have a ton more photos of bass but I'm sure you get the picture Large Mouth Heaven.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree Matt I thought plus seven on a couple of them as well. I asked my dad to weight a five and ten pound weight didn't hear back yet. In any case though you could have heard me hooting and hollering across the lake. Those old people aren't use to that. We were catching so many big fish that we stopped counting anything under 20". Simply Amazing it spoils you very fast.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys it was and always is a amazing trip.

Paul,
All big fish were prespawn but I believe they spawn around three times a year down there. I'm not 100% sure on how that works.

I'm kind of pissed I lost my log (creel survey) for the week, It blew out of the skiff. I would have liked to know total number just for fun. What I really would like to do is start a tagging program. My dad and I have been talking about doing this for several years. I always forget to get the tags in advance or the fisheries biologist never gets back to me etc. (basically I drop the ball). If anyone has a lead on quality tags that will last several years please let me know. Over the last three years I would think we could have tagged around 1,000 fish. I really want to know the growth rate down there. I transplanted several 6 lb fish to my dads lake three years ago I have to think they are over 10 lbs now.

Next year I have to bring some big swim baits in gill and bass patterns. Fishing live gills only gets gators and big turtles.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I need to do me some Florida bass fishing some day (not to mention Texas and Mexico). Those bass are huge compared to even the largest bass I have ever caught. Nice job!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing. It looks like your GF has the hogs dialed in!

I also agree with all the previous posts: that 10" bass in the mouth shot is awesome!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The GF certainly does have the hogs dailed in. A half hour after she caught her PB she said she was still shaking. She's hooked for life now! :D It will be both a happy and sad day when she has caught a bigger bass then me. Trust me my days are number with her skill/luck.

She did not want me to lip any of her fish because she said it won't count as her catching it. I told her we should be using a net. I may need a shrink to get me out of depression if we ever lose that ten pounder from not carrying a net.

Thanks again for all the comments next year I plan on making some videos.

Now it's on to the Fox for early spring multi species fun.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.