Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry im asking all these questions about flourocarbon line latley but im new with fluoro line so bear with me.

in lakes were fish are line shy like delavan and geneva can i use a fluorocarbon leader when im using fluorocarbon as a mainline. i would hate to be using one of my favorite crank baits for bass and have a toothy pike or muskie come and bite it off.. would that work??

what brand of fluoro leaders are the best in your opinion. what lb test leader?

still with this annoying knot problem what knot works the best for mainline fluorocarbon to a snap or anything esle. ive mastered the trilene knot and that seems to help. but the palamar knot is so easy.

sorry about all the fluorocarbon ?s latley

thanks for all your help
dom

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Fluoro leaders are used when you are using a superline like a braid or Fireline to disguise the line when the water is really clear. Fluoro appears invisible under water. Why would you want to use a fluoro leader when you are using fluoro line? If it is because you want to fish for northerns, then I would just just a steel leader. I only use steel leaders when I am specifically targeting pike because it will have a negative effect on bass.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Given the cost of fluoro carbon line, I wouldn't spool your entire reel with this. All you need is about a yard or so as a leader. I find that a uni-to-uni knot is very simple and can hold big fish. Everyone has their favorite as far as brand. The line test will depend on what your fishing for. They say that you can go one class up from what main line you're using (eg: you can use 25lb fluoro leader on 20lb main line).

·
Registered
122 Posts
After fishing the Des Plaines last year with my cousin, I've decided to try using a heavy, saltwater flouro leader. He went leaderless, while I opted to go with the leader. We both did well, but a lot of times he wound up getting a higher number of bites than me (and lost a bunch of lures in the process), so I'm trying to go between the two extremes with 50 lb. Seaguar flouro. I got the idea from Musky Innvoations, but I'm not paying $6 a pop for something I can make at home. Saltwater guys that fish for smaller sharks and 'cudas gave the Seaguar line rave reviews and reported very few breakoffs using 100lb.. I've been itching to try it out, but the high water levels have made some of my favorite spots inaccessable. My spot should be accessable by this weekend and I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
toothdoc said:
Fluoro leaders are used when you are using a superline like a braid or Fireline to disguise the line when the water is really clear. Fluoro appears invisible under water. Why would you want to use a fluoro leader when you are using fluoro line? If it is because you want to fish for northerns, then I would just just a steel leader. I only use steel leaders when I am specifically targeting pike because it will have a negative effect on bass.
No, WHEN IM SPECIFICALLY FISHING FOR BASS USING A CRANK BAIT ON MY PLINE and accidently A PIKE HITS MY CRANKBAIT, I wouldnt want to lose the lure due to a bite off. Is that something im going to have to take a chance at. :?

·
Registered
513 Posts
fishinnut28 said:
toothdoc said:
No, WHEN IM SPECIFICALLY FISHING FOR BASS USING A CRANK BAIT ON MY PLINE and accidently A PIKE HITS MY CRANKBAIT, I wouldnt want to lose the lure due to a bite off. Is that something im going to have to take a chance at. :?
Yes.

When my family and I go up to Kabetogama Lake in Northern Minnesota the main prey fish are Smallies, Northern and Walleye. Most of the time we target the bass but a Northern or Walleye will also hit the crank. Usually though with a crankbait I don't lose the Northern or Walleye due to their teeth because the hooks are far enough toward the front of it's mouth. The only time I lose a Northern is on a hookset while using plastics, the teeth snap it right away.

Personal experience. Might get a different story from someone else.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Your going to give bite offs from the pike at Delavan when you bass fish. It is INEVITABLE. Especially with lures like X-Raps, Rogues, Pointer, Husky Jerks. Its part of the game with bass fishing in pike infested waters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.