Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was just wondering who on here uses fluorocarbon line? :?: So far I've done all my fishing with monofilament and I'm still experimenting with lines. I'm thinking about trying fluorocarbon, and I'm just wondering what your opinions and expieriences with it are? :?: :idea: :)

I'm specifically thinking about this line here: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageLNEPLINE-PLPFC.html

·
Registered
953 Posts
I love fluoro line. I use PLine in lower pound tests, but if I go higher than 8# I use Gamma because it's limper at the higher test. PLine tends to be stiff at higher tests.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I usually don't use any mono. I have braided line on almost all of my spool and attach a short top-shot of fluoro as leader material. Fluoro is more resistant to abrasions compared to mono. This way, I don't have to respool my reels very often. I just change out my leader every other trip.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I like to only use flouro in cold very clear water just to stiff for everyday applications.
Copolymer 80% of the time and braid for slop fishing :)

·
Banned
655 Posts
Check out P-Line Fluoroclear. I've got this stuff spooled on my baitcasters.

It's got a co-polymer coating so it'll be stronger than most "true" fluorocarbons. Nor will it get cut up easily by abrasions.

This stuff works great for crankin' and spinnerbaitin' and when working plastics along the bottom... It's just god-awful if you want to do topwaters. Other than that, it's a great line for a wide number of fishing & multi-species applications.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
If you are going to use fluorocarbon for leader, get the leader material and not just the fluoro line. It is stiffer for that purpose and more abrasion resistant. :wink:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm by no means an expert on line, but I thought you guys might be interested in this anecdote, as it demonstrates that using Flouro in some situations can be detrimental. I ran into this bass fishing with my brother up in the U.P. We were throwing wacky-rigged senkos, and I was knockin em dead while he was seeing much less action. We later realized my hits were all "on the sink" (senkos flutter down so beautifully), but his flouro line was making the rig sink too fast. The boyancy of mono was an advantage in that case.

·
Registered
66 Posts
bartmandude said:
I'm by no means an expert on line, but I thought you guys might be interested in this anecdote, as it demonstrates that using Flouro in some situations can be detrimental. I ran into this bass fishing with my brother up in the U.P. We were throwing wacky-rigged senkos, and I was knockin em dead while he was seeing much less action. We later realized my hits were all "on the sink" (senkos flutter down so beautifully), but his flouro line was making the rig sink too fast. The boyancy of mono was an advantage in that case.
Those fish wanted a slower fall that time, that doesnt mean they want that fall rate all the time

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.