Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i use fireline for all my reels.im interested in fishin with flurocarbon. my question is what brand do you suggest ive heard mixed reviews on trilene 100 percent flurocarbon what do you guys suggest. i will be fishin it off my new shimano symetre spinning reel

thanks
dom

·
Registered
825 Posts
Hey Nut,
I have used many of the FCs and the majority of them have performed very well. I'd recommend P-line FC, Seaguar Invisix, and the 100% Trilene. For spinning reels I have used the 6lb and 8lb P-line FC. The 6lb is very limp and easy to manage. The 8lb starts getting a little more wirery but I want the extra strength. The 8lb has held up very well when fishing boat docks and wading rivers. I use the 6lb for dropshotting. One word of caution- do not overfill your spool. The line will spring of the spool and make a mess. Sure, you can just cut it off but you'll have wated 20 yards of line. Good fishing.

·
Registered
825 Posts
toothdoc said:
FishinMatt said:
I am a fan of the Gamma line.
I am too, but I gave him the BPS recommendation because I think he's a kid. Gamma is a little pricey.
I've used Cabela's FC and that is some good line as well. It is made by Seaguar and little cheaper than the rest.

One of my buddy swears by Gamma too. Overall, I haven't had any problems with any of the FCs I've used except that Vanish crap that came out with a couple years ago.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I have been using pline flouroice on one of my ice rods this winter. 6 lb test, around 2 lb diameter. Very nice stuff. I think I will be trying FC on one of my regular setups this spring.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I've only used the Trilene, it was ok. Mostly just use it for leaders now though, and stick with mono for the mainline.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
toothdoc said:
Use the fluorocarbon leader material and not the regular line for leaders when using braid. It works better.
Ditto on what Doc said about using the leaders w/ braid.

I have not had much luck with the P-Line, but like I have said before, maybe I had a bad spool. The 6lb gamma on the other hand has had very good knot strength and abrasion resistance so far for me.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
hey buddy,

All i basically ever use is Fluro-Carbon and between The P-line Co polymer And the Vanish Lines what else do you need ??

Your not out there fishing for a living and recommending your sponsors product. Vanish isn't expensive and As a leader AMAZING! And the p-line You can spool your whole reel up and you'll be Great Awesome casting distance A little stretch, Very abrasion resistant And the fish DON'T SEE IT! open water Fishing in Chicago... I Swear By Fluro-carbon... and this is what i use.

3 Years straight.

Don't go throwing money away on whats supposed to be the hottest line because all the pros are using it..
If i sponsored a pro and in his contract with me He was only allowed to use my product of Line ... what does he have to compare it to ??

Go grab some p-line or vanish and spend that left over money on some Arizona green Teas :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Hey GEO, I don't think anyone on this board has any sponsers. Were just recommending what works for us. If Pline and Vanish are your go to fluros, thats cool. Your reports certainly reflect that they perform well for you.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
not referring to you guys.. sorry Wasn't specific.

Every one on this board recommended great Fluro-carbon lines!!

just trying to throw it out there, Don't Believe what you see on tv..or read in magazines all the time.

They make MANY Fluro-carbon Lines that perform well, just letting him know you don't HAVE to go to the pricier lines, As the ones not priced as high still perform well.

Limited computer time.. Trying to rush through as many topics as possible.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Lip_Yanker said:
I've only used the Trilene, it was ok. Mostly just use it for leaders now though, and stick with mono for the mainline.

And I did mean the Vanish for leaders, sorry for not clarifying.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
When I first tried fluoro a couple of years ago, I tried Vanish on a spinning reel and hated it to the point that I almost vowed to never use fluoro again. That was obviously before I tried Gamma. Night and day improvement. The Vanish had too much memory and the knot strength sucked.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
toothdoc said:
When I first tried fluoro a couple of years ago, I tried Vanish on a spinning reel and hated it to the point that I almost vowed to never use fluoro again. That was obviously before I tried Gamma. Night and day improvement. The Vanish had too much memory and the knot strength sucked.
I used 12lb P-line fluoro on my baitcaster and detested it: it seemed to jump off my spool like crazy. It seems that everyone really likes fluoro though, I'll have to give it another chance this summer.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Islandfisher said:
toothdoc said:
I used 12lb P-line fluoro on my baitcaster and detested it: it seemed to jump off my spool like crazy. It seems that everyone really likes fluoro though, I'll have to give it another chance this summer.
Just keep in mind it can be used for a leader and you can leave your reels spooled as is if you want. Learn to tie the blood knot or something similar and you are in business without the other hassles that come with a whole spool of fluro.

·
Registered
825 Posts
toothdoc said:
The Vanish had too much memory and the knot strength sucked.
I hear that! I could tell a story about fishing a T on Lake Vermillion several years ago using Vanish for a leader on C-rigs. #$%@^&@ line. Never again. Green Big Game leaders on C-rigs for me!

Hey Island,
You have to give FC another shot. I love the stuff and it gives me no problems. For 15-17 lb I'll shoot a little KVD line conditioner on it the night before but that's about it. The line lasts a while too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.