Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
People have done it and have had great success. I am not into fly fishing the fox, but im sure it can be a deadly pattern. I usually chase steelies with the fly rod when I get a chance to. I have heard of guys getting smallies and walleyes on wet fly patterns, You will have to use a weighted tippet leader or a split shot or 2 to get the fly down. With fly fishing walleyes or even steelies, you want the weight or fly to be just at bottom, Possibly bouncing the bottom at times if your fishing current. The fish will hold towards the bottom in the current to try to stay in the slower slack water. but if you are fishing a back eddie or pool with the fly rod, I have heard of guys stripping flies through the pools and hooking into fish usually before the back swing. Is this your first fly rod?

By The Way, Welcome to WCF.

Oh Yea, also don't be suprised on how many flies you can lose in a day, I have lost over a 100 a day easily. That's why I stopped buying them for 1-2 bucks a piece and started tyeing them for about 30-40 cents a piece, it saves you a good amount of cash in the long run ;) Or check on E-Bay for fly tyers that sell them as a packaged deal. Also for smallies, top-water flies like poppers and Deer hair shimmed flies will work well too!

Dave

·
Registered
593 Posts
Welcome!

Basic clousers work really well on the smallies of the Fox.

Colors I like are minnow patterns white/grey or white blue and chartreuse or yellow when the water is more turbid.

They are easy to tie and materials are cheap.

The clouser has a bead head or weighted eyes and typical water I fish is <6ft deep so I use tapered or WF line and not weighted.

Wait until it warms up, then hit the river with surface poppers.
Thats a blast!!

You do need a bit more room to cast, but I can hit spots easier vs casting.

Good luck, once you get the hang of it you'll be using the flyrod more than spinning.

:D

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Rollcast said:
Welcome!

Basic clousers work really well on the smallies of the Fox.

Colors I like are minnow patterns white/grey or white blue and chartreuse or yellow when the water is more turbid.

They are easy to tie and materials are cheap.

The clouser has a bead head or weighted eyes and typical water I fish is <6ft deep so I use tapered or WF line and not weighted.

Wait until it warms up, then hit the river with surface poppers.
Thats a blast!!

You do need a bit more room to cast, but I can hit spots easier vs casting.

Good luck, once you get the hang of it you'll be using the flyrod more than spinning.

:D
Great Info RollCasts!!! :D Maybe you will have to show me a little thing or 2 on the Fox for getting some eyes or smallies on my 4/5 weight rod :lol:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I fish the fox pretty much everyday ( in spring) and I rarly ever see anyone fly fishing but it is possible if you go to the right spot.

On another note I went to McHenry Dam yesterday just to mess around and through some lures around, the water level is insanly high with an incredible current, most of the ice is melted there so if your into bait fishing I seen some stripers swimming around in the shallows.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I fish the fox pretty much everyday ( in spring) and I rarly ever see anyone fly fishing but it is possible if you go to the right spot.

On another note I went to McHenry Dam yesterday just to mess around and through some lures around, the water level is insanly high with an incredible current, most of the ice is melted there so if your into bait fishing I seen some stripers swimming around in the shallows.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Almost every time I'm on the Fox(warm weather months) I run into someone fly fishing. Fly fishing the fox clousers are probably your best bet and a crawdad colored hair fly would be a close second.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:D thank you very much for all the great ideas. I cant wait to get back out on the water and give this a shot. I will be sure to take pictures and post them if it works out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.