Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
in so many words, no

if you are looking to fly fish in chicago, i have seen guys doing it in the harbors, inland lakes, and lagoons for all sorts of species such as bass, panfish, and even carp

now, if you're looking for trout specifically, you have three neighboring states that have trout streams, creeks, and rivers - Iowa (yep), Wisconsin, and Indiana

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
There are 2 IL creeks that hold specific stream trout, no more than 12 inches in size. Search google earth for a while and zoom in. I can not give you specific areas as I do not want to lose my subscription to TSS. As they all roam these boards. But scan google earth and do some major scouting. I know where they are around, but never took the trip out. There are only 2 streams in the state of IL where you can find small brookies as well as cut-throat trout. Sorry, but thats ateast a step ahead of nothing ;)

Dave

PS: You plan to Catch and Release these trout only right? They are heavily protected...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Well, What I can help you with is a stream or 2 in WI that holds some brookies. My uncle that lives in WI got turned onto these streams by a fellow at work thats a fire fighter. He will tackle them with a 2wt fly rod. at about 7 foot. He said most of the time you are almost crawling up on these fish not to spook them. I think there is a video or 2 on the wisconsin streams. They are heavily pertected... Heres the directions...

Head on 94 towards madison, and exit hwy 83 in Delafield "Right by Pewaukee Lake" Head west bound on 83 for about 2-3 miles. Hand a right wich is Northbound on 67. Go about 5 miles on 67 and when you see a sign Badger Kart Club, hand a left towards the race track. YOu can fish north of the creek there. It has many nice holes and my uncle catches brookies out of there. He only lives a few miles away. I have a few more, but I will need to give him a call. DNR is all over these streams and they are all heavily pertected and catch n release only. Hope that helps a bit. I am not sure where you would park. We usually park at the track. But we have access since we know the owners. If you park on the side of the road. you will be towed. Good Luck Fishn'

Dave

Heres a little Vid on WI stream trout ;) I love this vid! I love WI!

By the way, the stream is in Dousman, WI. But there are many other streams within a 60 mile radius. Also there is a little pond that has a stream flowing into it on highway 67 that holds some bigger brookies and some tiger trout. PM me and I can give ya more info on the WI streams, not the IL ones though.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Apple river,140-150 miles away,near stockton il park in apple river state park, wade the river for miles,smallmouth,and rainbows, rainbows are stocked every year,must have trout stamp.biggest i caught 16in

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Also the Kickapoo river/stream in WI ;) They have cabins there too! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.