Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How concerned are you about our conservation efforts in protecting our fisheries for future generations
Very Concerned2066.67%
A little Concerned1033.33%
Not Concerned00.00%
I couldn't care less!00.00%

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks all for your participation with the first study. It's indispensable information!! Please continue to post your votes and comments for any session here. On to round 2! Again, follow the same format. Either number or paste the questions along with your answers.

POLL QUESTION:
How concerned are you about our conservation efforts in protecting our fisheries for future generations?

1. Very Concerned - I make every effort to do my part and contribute in anyway I can to protect our natural resources.

2. A little Concerned - I am aware of the situation and try once in awhile to promote conservation

3. Not Concerned - We are wasteful creatures and I've learned to accept it

4. I couldn't care less! - no comment :cry:

Focus Group Study 2 Questions:

1. Did you know that already 5 states have banned barbed fishing hooks? What do you think about this?

2. Do you think using barbless hooks could impact the environment in a positive way?

3. How will this impact your fishing if it becomes local law?

4. Do you agree or disagree that barbs cause significant damage to the fish?

5. How many fish out of 100 do you experience gut/belly hooking?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Poll question 1= 1.5, I am very concerned seeing as I would love for future generations to fish, but on the other hand I do not make "every" effort. I can always improve on that...

1. Did you know that already 5 states have banned barbed fishing hooks? What do you think about this?

I had no idea. It it helps I'm all for it.

2. Do you think using barbless hooks could impact the environment in a positive way?

Sure can! Don't know to what extent though.

More lost fish? But, the ease of unhooking a fish would also be nice.

I've seen enough torn up lips to say it does do damage to fish.

At the WWD quite often, but anywhere else almost never. Would guess maybe 10 at the most? I have no idea.

·
Registered
953 Posts

Yes I did know this. I think it might help a little, but don't know enough about the specifics behind those decisions to really comment about it's impact

If fewer fish die from being gut hooked then it could help the environment, but then again removing a few fish from the ecosystem can also promote a healthier population.

I would have to change the hooks I use, but I don't think it would be a huge problem. It could just result in fewer fish caught unless I get my hands on the "Auginator" hooks.

I think it really depends on how you are fishing. If you are live bait fishing then it can be an issue for sure. Sometimes with soft plastics. I don't know enough about the mortality rates to really know, but I know trying to extract barbed hooks can cause large holes in the fish's mouth.

For the entire year I think I gut hooked maybe 2 or 3 fish out of every 100 fish caught.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Yes.... I've read about it somewhat. I think it all depends on the conservation ethics of the state. Some might be more strict than others because of fish population going down or someone in the state government got tired of taking long pulling hooks from fish.

Yeah, less stress on the fish and less harm.. but when the hook is really in there, there isn't much you can do.

Alot going to have to buy a whole new set of hooks then what if the hooks I want aren't available barbless, just money down the drain.

Yes, less torn up lips and damage to the fish.

A few as in three or so.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts

I did know that some states had banned barbed hooks, but did not know how many exactly.

It should help, but I would be interesting in seeing if there have been any studies done that show that there is a positive impact.

I guess that I will have to start using barbless hooks. Augy can you hook me up with some? :wink:

If they are gut hooked, yes. I don't believe that they cause significant damage to fish that are hooked in the lip. A lot of this occurs because of improper hook selection and live bait use. Most fish that are gut hooked are the result of live bait.

Maybe 2 or 3. I don't use a lot of live bait other than the WWD.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
1.I didn`t know this at all :? If it comes down to it I`ll have to use barbless hooks :)

2.It should

3.The only thing I could see happening is my plastics slipping all the time and having to realign my plastics with every cast and what will hold live bait on the hook :?

4.I`m sure barbed hooks cause more damage to fish, atleast in bass fishing the fish r hooked multiple times in a year anyways, I think careless anglers cause more damage to fish than the hooks :shock:

5. 1 fish this year I hooked inside the gill :(

·
Registered
2,402 Posts

No, I'm surprised that 5 states have banned barbs.

I sure they would but they would have to keep fish on for me to use them.

I would have to buy new treble hooks for all my crank baits. That would suck.

I agree with aris, I think it depends on the person who is taking the hook out.

I belly hooked one fish this year. At the time I was using a bobber with a roach on a treble. I usually don't use live bait so my #'s are kind of low.

553 Posts

No, I was completely unaware that this was the case. I would like to hear what the reasons for the law were? :?:

I don't think that they can impact the environment it in a positive way, but I also don't think that they can impact the environment in a negative way.

Well, I'll just probably have to adapt and experiment with techniques that would be successful.

I agree that barbs do cause significant damage to the fish when they are hooked somewhere else than the mouth. I also think that it depends on how the hooked is removed. I'm not sure if much damage is done to a fish when it is properly mouth hooked.

After only two years of fishing, I've belly hooked one fish.

Again, good luck and I hope this helps. I can't wait to see what you came up with. :shock: :) :wink:

·
Banned
655 Posts

1) Already knew about it.. However, this barbless-only rule mostly seems to apply to the states with large Trout fisheries or for fisheries that are not strong nor hearty.

Personally, I would worry more about lead products in our waters rather than barbed hooks.

Most fish or tissue damage comes from the angler who has no skills in hook removal, not the hook itself.

2) No. I've read some studies that barbless hooks will punch into the fishes tissue much deeper than hooks with barbs. It's proven with Muskies so this is what I can base this answer on.

3) I'll be pissed off and that means that I'll have to replace all of the barbed treble hooks on the hundreds of minnowbaits and crankbaits I own. I probably wouldn't bother following this law anyways. It's not like I get checked in IL to begin with....

4) Disagree. Too many factors are involved with determining a straight answer for this question - but I disagree.

5) Less than 1 out of 100. This usually happens when I doze off, don't pay attention to my line, and it happens very often when I fish with live bait.... (split shot rigs/ bobbers/ etf). However, I don't fish with much live stuff anymore. Senkos and gut-hookings seem to be very prevalent these days.

·
Registered
107 Posts
1) i knew, and many resorts in canada are the same way. it does make it easier to release the big toothy guys :)

2)yes, it will save a few fish here and there, and does get them back into the water faster. the hooks go through cleaner leave a smaller puncture and is removed easier, if you set the hook correctly the hook should go through the entire jaw anyway... but without the barb there is less to push through

3)it wouldnt. hooks do not need to be removed, just take a pair of pliers and pinch the barbs down. i have done it to most of my baits already anyway. you could do hundreds in a matter of minutes.

4)i dont think they do that much harm, but fish do get cut up less without them.

5) maybe 1/100, not very often at all

·
Registered
345 Posts

Nope

Unsure. Only that a few more fish may get away and survive better after getting unhooked, consdiring that its easier for a novice to unhook a fish with a barbless, and would help get the fish back to water quicker

Not at all. Tried going barbless a while back and it didnt make a differnce in what i caught.

Not really.

10 or so. Thats usually with live bait.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

nope

I doubt it will have much of an effect either way

Replacing all the hooks would suck, like andrew, I prolly wouldnt follow this law. Although when I bought new hooks they would be barbless, I just wouldnt change existing.

There are instances that they do of course, but I believe it is the angler also.

Estimating on the High side I would say 3, I use live bait too. Only when I snooze, circle hooks eliminate alot of swallows. I think I have had more swallows on senkos this year than Live Bait

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

I was aware that certain California lakes in the Sierras are barbless. I didn't know there were four other states - but that doesn't surprise me.

Assuming that enforecment is strong, I would agree.

I typically don't eat the fish that I catch here, so I don't think it would bother me. I think it would be more of a challenge to fish. Now, if they introduced this to my annual tuna fishing, then I would have a problem with that. I need my sashimi.

If it's lip hooked, I don't think it would be much worse. Not really sure on this one.

Almost never on bass. I like to fish lures. During saltwater fishing, I like to use circle hooks to avoid this issue. That hook is always at the corner of the mouth.

·
Registered
163 Posts

I had no idea...I had heard of certain lakes in Canada requiring Barbless hooks, but didn't realize they did here. I'm curious what states?

I've never seen the evidence that led to the decisions in those five states, but it must be compelling, so I'd have to say "yes".

I have LOTS of lures...that's lots of hooks to swap...but I guess I'd deal with it. oh, and Augy gets rich...then pays me a generous royalty to my son and I for providing the name "the Auginator" :D

I think this varies by species and how they're hooked, but in the end, I can't disagree. In the more soft-mouthed fish like Bass, I've seen the big holes that are made when extracting sometimes. On something like Pike, I don't think the damage is as significant in their mouths. However, in any gut-hook situation though, since it makes the hook harder to extract, I think the barbs do play a huge role in dead or severely injured fish.

Very rare actually. For me, maybe 6 or 7 in 100. My kids though? yikes...when I take them bluegill fishing, they have a tendency to wait to long despite my attempts at instruction. I'd say 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 are gut-hooked.

553 Posts
Augy said:
To clarify, the 5 states banning barbs is not statewide. As Andrew mentioned, it is limited to certain bodies of water and limited to certain species.
Well than that changes things a little bit. If it's only certain bodies of water that have restrictions than that's fine. By the way I just found out that barbed hooks were invented to hold live bite. :oops: :?: Good luck. :) :wink:

·
Registered
107 Posts
a lot of you are saying you dont want to switch hooks... all it takes is taking a pair of pliers and pinching the end of the hook so the barb is flush with the rest of it. it would really only take a few minutes for you to do a few hundred baits. and it doesnt hurt to change hooks at the beginning of each season anyway... that way you can make sure they havent rusted at all and you wont lose a fish because they break off. just thought i would let you guys know that you dont really need to change all the hooks cuz that seems to be a trend in why some of you dont like the idea

·
Registered
702 Posts

Didn't know. But Manitoba 15 years ago banned em. Not sure if it was province wide or just where we were. I'm all for it, especially if this new Augyhook works like it is 'posed to! Really, I think a barb ban is a good idea.

Can't hardly see why it would not, though the degree to which it positively impacts would of course be a hotly debated topic! I can only see barbs being negative. The only better option that still allows fishing at all is barbless.

Not a lot. I think part of the finess of fishing is keeping a tight line at all times. May make it more sporting actually. I'm sure I'll lose a trophy and piss and moan, but until then I think its a good idea.

Agree, very much so. Especially with novice anglers. I probably hook more fish in a more damaging way than in a truly harmless way.

Depends on the weather and the bite. At Opeka this past summer the vast majority of fish caught - and that wasn't very many :x - were gut hooked. In normal or typical conditions, maybe 10% if using worms, minners or senkos. Depends if I'm paying attention or sipping coffee :lol:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Didnt know that but it makes sense. Couldnt use them in canada, and it seems like they are very smart about their fisheries up there.

Yeah some positive impact, but if the fish swallows it or gets it in the gill it probly wouldnt matter barb or no barb.

I would switch all my stuff to barbless. (your not lobbying for a change in state law to promote your hook bis are ya? :lol: )

It depends on how many hooks on the lure. Spinnerbait...it think the diference would be insignificant. Raplala with nine barbs...big difference. I would consider swithching them over just for my convenience.

a bluegill ever once in a while at the wwd. i would say 4 per hundred. Not big on the live bait. I use a lot of spinnerbaits and larger crankbaits so not that much of a problem. One thing i hate is when a fish gets the back hook from a jointed rapala in the eye. The barb can make that worse i guess.

One other thing since this is the conservation focus group. Put the product in paper packaging. Avoid the plastic as much as possible. Just look at the discharge :wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.