Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gave Busse a post-weed kill week to restabilize and headed back out on another "If I don't catch anyhting I'll again look elsewhere" trip to the North Pool. I've had a love-hate series of outings season to date...

Was not impressed early on as I got snagged a few too many times working around the dam 'back end' area... once I got down the path a ways I got some action going. First on the 'ole reliable' green/yellow senkos I started on last Fall. I try not to get too caught up on colors meaning much, as I think it really is just about getting any color close enough to a fish for them to react that counts. They do seem to go through hot streaks though and this color has outproduced others. All four bit on the green/yellow. The second fish was probably my largest of the year but I'm still looking for the big guys.
Glasses Sky Sunglasses Goggles Water

I don't measure 'em unless I catch one that impresses me as above average size. Three of four were in that 12" range one in the 'pretty gutsy for a bass that size to hit a 5" bait!' range.

I was out where there are weeds at the shore, growing from the bottom.(unlike the dead mats of weeds laying on the surface like you get at Beck's shores). The two larger guys of course buried themselves once I got them close. I just kept pressure on and waited 'em out, but they couldn't even be seen at that point. They eventually came in like this:
Plant Plant community Frog Terrestrial plant Grass

Unwrapped version (left handed!):
Smile Sky Cloud Sunglasses Goggles

I continue to weigh my decisions though since I also encounter tick issues the closer I get to the only area that has been producing. I'd have been stuck banging it out all afternoon for one catch if I'd excluded the areas further down and into more weedy areas of the path. So yeah, to catch fish or not? Well, we all know the answer to that. Just still tentative of the conditions.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice bass! Are the largemouth post spawn around here? I haven't fished around here in a few weeks so I have no idea where they're at, I would think post.
I would go with 'post' as well, I saw about half a dozen beds carved into the weeds at Busse, all unoccupied.

I was out on a great Tuesday aft and this time caught five, most for me on the season and biggest bass as well (though I'm still on the lunker lookout!). Wasn't going to post again but this one cracked me up in a 'fishing will always find a way to prove you wrong/keep you guessing' kind of way.

I've been working various white spinnerbaits since early spring along with my senkos, I have one rod with heavier line than I prefer for my bass fishing. That means carrying along two rods. NBD, but it gets annoying when one or the other just isn't hitting. I was very close to just grabbing my one rod but grabbed both instead. I said to my pole 'So, the idea here is for you to come back with a bass attached, got it??' because everyone talks to their tackle right?

Well I start out in my usual pattern including spinner work along the rocks of the dam etc. Nothing. I get down the path a bit a bit. I cast out and literally said to myself 'Yup, looks like it's time to put away the spinner.' And... BAM!!! He was more towards a 14" than the average 12s I've been hitting. I laughed... and then went on to catch 3 of my five on the spinner, of course.
Smile Goggles Sunglasses Fisherman Fish

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, just me and my Permethrin treated pants and socks ;) Haven't seen a tick since and I was getting into real bushwackin' areas of the N. too.

I bet I have seen your dad, you see the world pass by it seems. So many people on that path over the dam.

I've had a few interesting days of late: I had a Parade of Dinks day that I caught two on a spinner and two on a senko and I bet none were over 8"! They were the kind that made you say 'how did a fish that small hit a lure almost biigger than they are?'

I then followed that up on a perfect weather day Sunday with a big ole zero on the board.

Ya just never know I guess...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts