Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved to Batavia (temporarily) and have been fishing the ped bridge in the evenings. I have been killing the small mouths and have also caught one walleye, one sheepshead and one catfish and 2 white bass all on 4 lb test. I'm not used to river fishing and have pretty much been sticking to jig and twister tails. Any suggestions on other tackle for walleyes? Should I fish up by the dam? The nice thing about the ped bridge is I can cover all the water, and it isn't posted for no fishing. Also, I don't have a car so am stuck fishing this area. It just seems very shallow here.

Also curious if anyone eats the walleye or white bass from the fox? I have released all the fish I catch but would love to try the white bass or walleye if I can get a legal one.

Any suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Ultralightackle said:
I recently moved to Batavia (temporarily) and have been fishing the ped bridge in the evenings. I have been killing the small mouths and have also caught one walleye, one sheepshead and one catfish and 2 white bass all on 4 lb test.
If I was killing the smallies I would be very happy. To me, it doesn't get much better than that. I'm sorry that I can't help you with the fishing on the Fox, but welcome to WCF!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I was killing the smallies I would be very happy. To me, it doesn't get much better than that. I'm sorry that I can't help you with the fishing on the Fox, but welcome to WCF![/quote]

Two nights in a row I had 3 smb on 3 consecutive casts! I don't mean to sound un-appreciative of catching fish, just would like to target some walleyes is all. Here is a pic of the largest smb I have ever caught, from last month in the UP of Mich.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
toothdoc said:
That is an awesome smallie that you got there! :D Did you get a weight and or length on it?
Thanks, 21" by ruler, I'm guessing around 3 pounds. I need a new scale. Hell of a fight on my ultralight!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
toothdoc said:
You do need a new scale. If that fish was really 21" then it was closer to 5 pounds!
I had a tape measure but no scale. It really was 21", as far as weight I prefer to guess low otherwise people would bash that it wasn't 5#s (but yes, I do believe it was closer to 4#). 8)

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
I've been fishing out your way the past several weeks, but specifically targeting smallmouth bass. BTW... a 21" is just about a trophy in these parts. Excellent fish.

In talking to Karen at Batavia Bait & Tackle, as well as others, it seems the walleye are stacking up by the dam. Jigs with minnows seem to be the bait of choice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome to the river. The great thing about river fishing is that it changes almost weekly. I usually fish south of the second (Funway) dam and north of the N. Aurora dam. It's not as pressured there with fishermen. It sounds like you hit the spot around the ped. bridge though. As some of the guys said above, with the water cooling with the season, the walleyes should be picking up. Good luck, have fun!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys:

Jason, yeah if I could have gotten good measurements I probably would get a mount in the future. It got dark fast and I needed to get it released. I was on the Cisco Chain and had a long trip to get to where the camera was, but it was a healthy release.

Legend: no waders anymore, and truthfully in the short time I have to be living here I wouldn't want to re-learn in the river with the current! I know slow and steady and safety, but I have seen some big things floating in that river and would probably end up going for a long wet ride to the bottom.

Fred: Did I say Ped bridge? I never fish there. Fishing sucks there. Don't go there! (someone PM'd me some advice on giving locations. won't do that again!) :evil:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I didn't read ped bridge... don't know where I read that... boy do I have an imagination... old age or something. Yes, anyway, waders work all around the river. Easy access between the Batavia #1 dam all the way south to the old archery range then to the N. Aurora dam. Don't fish the ped bridge though, there's no fish there, well reality is there's no water there, no bridge, no town, what river......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.