Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
started the day out by arriving at the deep lake tourney. Couldnt find a boat launch so we decided to head over to fox because we heard it was good fishing. On the way there our boat flipped on the road and we had to tip it back up! so after that we contuned our jounrny there. Launched the boat and head out on the lake. Within minutes the sheriffs boat pulled us over to do a safety insecption. We passed although we were missing a whistle. Fished for 15 more min then headed over to another lake (proabaly fox). Saw a sherifs boat going the opposite way until he saw us and pulled us over again!! this time the pigs werent going to go without there money. They wrote us a 75 dollor citation for no whistle and no lake sticker. So we went back and fished from the fishless shore. Talked to a very old man, when asked what he caught he said "them" as he pointed to the third patrol boat handing out tickets at the boat lanch!!!! i will never go back to these lakes again. One of the worst outings of my life thanks to the piece of crap sheriffs of chain o lakes.

·
Registered
229 Posts
sorry that you had a bad day - but I can tell you that hitting the fox without a sticker is like putting a neon "pull me over" sign on the side of your boat.

I see police out there all the time & haven't had a problem with them. If anything, I'd say that I see a lot less boats pulled over this year & last as opposed to say 7 or 8 years ago.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. The only way that you can launch your own boat at Deep is if you are a Lake Villa resident. Otherwise you need to rent a 12 ft. Lund from Jack & Lydia's for $15/day.

·
Registered
563 Posts
In my opinion, 90 percent of Illinois DNR officers and cops that work forrest preserves and launches are a bunch of jackoffs. Fortunately I havent been messed with a whole lot but I have been with alot of my friends that get hasseled for just the dumbest things I have ever heard of. Though the second you enter wisconsin, it seems that everyone with a badge also owns a brain. I do most of my boating in wisconsin and have never had a problem, hassel, or bull$#[email protected] citation. Problably 50 Percent of the time I take a boat out in Illinois I get stopped and lectured by the dnr about nonsense. The most notorious in my opinion are the officials at Busse Lake in Crook County. There is one female officer I have ran into a couple times and she is sensible and Reasonable, But all other officers me or my fellow fishing partners have encountered have been 100% grade A Douche Nozzels. They throw out rediculous Citations that are often not even true, and for rediculous reasons. And they never bother the polock bucketfisherman who keep a million illegal fish and don't buy liscenses. they target people with boats because there is more $ to be made.

My advice, if you want some good fishing that is well managed by logical and intelligent officials, just cross the border out of Illinois.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You didn't have a whistle and sticker and you got a ticket. What's wrong with that? I know of a guy in MN who was caught with 3 walleye a few inches below keeper size. He lost all his fishing gear, boat, trailer and his truck.

You got a ticket. Just feel more fortunate than the guy who lost his stuff.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'll share my stories since the DNR are getting a bad rap on here.

1) Pulled over on Sturgeon Bay- DNR was cool and even gave me some spots to try. No problems.
2) Checked on Paw Paw Lake- DNR gave me the weather report. No problems.
3) Checked by the Coast Guard on the Cal Sag- No Problems.
4) Checked by the DNR on the Cal Sag- Given a WARNING for uncovered terminals, an expired fire extinguisher and no whistle. I felt very grateful and lucky.
5) Checked-on by the DNR on a northern Michigan lake while playing drinking games on a pontoon boat while in college. He could of hauled all of us in if he wanted. I felt lucky that day.
6) Checked-on by the DNR in Michigan at a Lake Michigan beach after a night of bonfires and beer drinking. Was told to clean up our mess and go home. I felt lucky that day.

Also, I have never been hastled when monitored by local sheriffs on the water. Now I realize that there are jerks out there and some guys get messed with. One of my fishing buddies is a black guy and I know he has gotten hastled with especially on Lake Geneva. Overall, I treat them with respect and have not gotten into trouble. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i understand the boat sticker but the first boat should have told us that, and i understand the whistle and saftey insepections, but come on i agree they never target the bucketheads, or the real poachers. I just felt they were out to get us rather than try to keep us safe.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It does seem that way for the individual who gets the ticket but as the Coast Guard once stated, ......."We don't pick and choose what laws to enforce, if its a violation, it's a violation."

I don't believe in random safety inspections when on the water or for that matter, traffic road blocks but if they see a violation, then you kinda asked for it. It irritates me when on any given weekend I see boats, including fisherman breaking rules from no wakes, to illegal fish or fishing and find the authorities sitting in some channel stopping every boat for safety checks. Problem is, there's enough boats out there that have some type of violation that makes it worth their while rather than traveling around looking for the violations I speak of. The Chain is a very busy body of water with a history of accidents and deaths due to congestion, alcohol/drug use and plain old reckless incompetent boat operation. Authorities have become very strict over the past few years and there's no one to blame but the people using the water with disregard to the rules and or respect for other boaters.

If your gonna be out there, you need to keep your boat in tip top condition and be alert. I even talked with a guy who got a citation because his IL registration numbers were not spaced properly. :shock:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Paul S, What do you mean by an "expired fire extinguisher" ? I know they check for a charged fire extinguisher( the gage reading in the green) but I don't know how they can tell if it's expired.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.