Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips, opinions of fishing the Fox just south of the Nortyh Aurora Dam? I don't get out often and the North Aurora Dam is 10 minutes from my house. I fished there several times in the last 6-9 months and landed some small SMB's and a couple of Walleyes. I typically fish with my 8 year old son and 12 year old daughter and stick with swallow dive crank baits and plastics. We'll typically hang out just south of the Rte56 bridge, cast up current and reel in as its going down stream with the current. Any suggestions? Techniques to try? Any better spots close to there? I'd like to stay close to home and stick with non live bait, but still catch. Granted, the only time out there I got skunked, my son caught two SMBs, so it wasn't a total loss!!

Anyway!! Here's a couple of pictures of a LMB my son caught this summer in a small private lake in St. Charles! We didn't have a scale, but I think it was between 5 and 6lbs and 22-24". I'm taking the pictures and the guy in them is my buddy Dan.

Good to be aboard! (No pun intended!!)

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
I live right off Sullivan, and it is in my backyard as well. I wish I could offer you some good advice, but I have only fished it once myself. I do take quite a few walks with my wife on the bike path though, and the hot spot seems right up at the damn, on the West side. I usually stop by to chat if someone is fishing, and I have heard they take eyes, smallies, and the occasional flathead lindy rigging fatheads and crawlers right outside the damn wash. One of these days I will actually get out there to fish it and throw up a report. Good luck out there.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Hey Smav that's a nice bass=)

Water's pretty cold right now and I don't know that area but...I'd throw a hair jig and try hanging it in the current for some smallies.

Welcome to the site :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VoteRonPaul said:
Wow! That is a huge bass, I wish that one of these days I could catch a bass that size. In my short fishing history I'm nowhere close to a bass that size. Awesome Bass! :D :D :D
Funny thing is the one that I caught that day was smaller (18", 2-3lbs). When my son hooked that one, I thought he hooked some brush under the surface!! He caught it on a tube to boot!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Years ago I used to fish the North Aurora dam quite regularly. Live bait worked best for me... a large fathead with a splitshot placed right in the boils below the dam or some other livebait fished in an eddy just downstream from the dam.

·
Registered
593 Posts
SMav said:
Any tips, opinions of fishing the Fox just south of the Nortyh Aurora Dam?

I typically fish with my 8 year old son and 12 year old daughter
and stick with swallow dive crank baits and plastics.
We'll typically hang out just south of the Rte56 bridge,
cast up current and reel in as its going down stream with the current.
Any suggestions?
You have the right baits.

Stay in that spot and cast down stream.
Move the rod back and forth..slowly..
Let the bait dive with the current and move it sideways slowly ticking the bottom.

As you move the rod tip to the side the bait will move sideways.

No fish-reell up a crank or 2..

Repeat rod swing back & forth.
Keep rod at about 10 oclock, and you'll hook fish.

Once a spot is covered, wade down ~20 feet and continue.

Best bait is a wee-craw or small minnow baits, or jig/twister..

Using this method, you can actually drop the bait behind a rock or eddy on top of the fish....

:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.