Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to spot in batavia about 230 pm caught 5 channel cats and 1 smallmouth .sizes on cats were from about 4lbs bein the smallest to the last one i caught was 17 lbs took me about 15 min to get him in. the smallmouth was about 12 in. sadly i forgot my camera at home . will def bring next time. it was a beautiful afternoon,ended up leavin at about 630 pm. had a great day .i caught all fish on jigs and minnow except the big boy he hit a minnow under a slip bobber. i tried casting everything i had but nothin was workin so i went to live bait and bam right away my pole was almost pulled in the water lol

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have noticed live bait was the key lately to.I tried spinners, cranks , and plastics of different colors&
sizes but very limited success,but throw on a live crawler or minnow a fish on.Hopefully the warm weather
will change these finicky fish.Good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok what is it about jigging with a minnow that works so well, than just fishing plain ole tight line. Can anyone answer that and do you care to tell me where in batavia you were fishing, is that slack what, i noticed you said a slip bobber. What's the waterlevel like right now also? Thanks in advance. Eric

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
ericbrim said:
you can tight line a little fish. Is it the jigging or are you just saying use live bait?
Sorry I didn't understand the wording of your question.

I'm not aware of any conclusive studies done in regards to the effectiveness or lack thereof between the 3 live bait presentation options mentioned.
They are just different ways of targeting/presenting to different areas of the water column.

And no...I would never suggest anyone to use live bait.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i went to a floating jig colors red and green and yes it was a tight line on the floaters . when usin a slip bobber i try to keep it about 12 in or less off the bottom and that is in from 2 to 5 feet of water . my spot in batavia is right by the police station , just south of the dam . there is quite a bit of fishin pressure there but these peeps must not know what there doin cause ive only been skunked there once so far this year . fish caught were walleye, smallies, channels, largemouth, crappie carp (on accident of course lol)bluegill. havent caught a musky or northern yet but i will hehe. u can fish the top where u park thats where i caught the 17 lbs channel, but mostly i fish off the river right at the inlet u will know what im talkin about when u see it good luck. if u want to leave me a message when ur goin maybe i can meet u there. also even though u have a tight lin e u still have to jig in slow but be cautious there r a lot of snags there

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well thanks for all the responses just curious. I think i fished up top once. Didn't catch ish. We usually fish the dam. I'm assuming when you say the inlet you are talking where the water goes under the ped bridge leading to the path that goes to the dam. I see people fish there but never seen anyone catch anything. Alot of guys will go on the other side and fish the water flow coming over the damn with minnows for smallies. Yeah maybe one day we can link up and you can teach me that area. Might be a min though. That's a hike for me. Way out south by monee reservoir. Again thanks for your input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.