Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'v not fished for nor hooked into a carp, but was out on Sunday looking for bass and ran across a number of 7-10lb carp right near my boat.
What is the best way to catch them?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Nightcrawler is probably your best bet but if you want to try something fun with the kid here's the deal. You'll want to buy some treble hooks ahead of time, small-med sized so you can take them out easier. Get a box of wheaties or corn flakes. They sell the jars of minced garlic(made by spice world) by the deli in jewel & dominicks, get the 32oz one. Get a 1/8 cup salt. You'll need a bowl to do the mixing in and a cookie sheet to dry them out in the sun in a window sill.

In my experience with the nieces and nephews, kids love making the bait almost as much as they do catching the fish with it.

Start by taking the box of wheaties and crunch them all up in the mixing bowl, not to a fine powder but into small pieces. Once you have the cereal ground up real good dump in the garlic with all that juice and the salt. I don't use most of the actual garlic but you need every last drop of that juice. You may need to add a little water but not more than 1/4 cup. You're only looking for enough moisture to turn the cereal bits to a chunky paste like consistency. Mix all that stuff up with your hands real good. Once you've decided it's mixed up enough roll it into something a little smaller than a golf ball. Put them on a cookie sheet and leave them in the sun for about an hour and you're good to go. I like to put it on the treble hooks and let it dry on a few of them overnight but it isn't necessary. You can sprinkle some water on them from where ever you're fishing to soften them up to get the hook in and put it on the next day no problem. This is the improvised version, when I was a kid it was just wheaties and water :D

When we saw a school of carp we used to just cast those out with nothing else, no bobbers or weights, they would go far enough on their own and sink at a nice slower pace. If you threw it out under a bobber I suppose that wouldn't be a terrible idea either.

They eat everything. Whatever you decide to use; Nightcrawlers, crayfish & other pre-made doughbaits or corn, I'm sure you'll catch a few and have a great time! Good luck

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
or....you could just put sweet corn on a medium to small sized hook and catch as many as you want. if you ever are near the chicago river -you can catch carp from any stretch there regularly.

B

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried corn today, cast right to the school. they looked at it and off they went. :( I'll try the cearl recipe. should I chum with some of the mix? Thanks for the tip!! :D

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
A Coumpound Bow and a fiberglass arrow with a broad head! :p :lol:

Easisest way to get them Carp. :wink:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
yeah if you can see a school swimming next to shore or something chances are they won't bite anything. put that corn out on bottom as far as you can and wait. if they are spawning and swimming up on each other chances are the males are trying to sniff out the females or something.

B

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Can of corn is ALL you need year round to catch carp.

lets not get crazy guys.. :shock:

it's just fishing :mrgreen:

Eat the wheaties for breakfast (Breakfast of champions) then you'll go out there on top of your game and kill 'em on corn :mrgreen:

Make sure you get the whole kernal sweet corn.

N in clear water put every kernal on the same way.

these fish are so easy you don't even need to give them drinks :shock:

- Geo

:mrgreen:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.