Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The water temperature is a chilly 33º. The river level is fairly high but on its way down. It is moving at a rate of 1,450 cubic feet per second. We have not heard of any safe ice on the river yet however some of the local ponds are at 3"-4".

Walleyes are biting on large or x-large fatheads and bright colored curly tails are also producing fish. Quillback Carp are also being snagged on a regular basis. We haven't heard of any muskies being caught but we know they are in there!!

Good luck out there!!

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
thanks for that report. i can't believe the ice is already that thick in some ponds. looks like it could be a good ice fishing season.

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
toothdoc said:
Nice fish! :shock:
There have been bigger caught :wink: Just have to be at the right place at the right time. More years then not I am a week late and miss the good bite.

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
I believe it was 24 1/2. Back in the 90's we used to get them a little more frequently. The biggest I remember was a 28''. That of course was when I could fish almost every day :D

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
In the winter they are sometimes caught up at the dams, but it is mostly smaller males. In the Summer if you can find some holes that don't see pressure you have a chance. From Yorkville down, I have found less numbers but bigger fish. I get skunked for them probably 2 out of 3 times but the rewards can be fish like this in the early Summer.

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts

This is my personal best, weight wise. It was not on the Fox however. It was at Lake Argyle in Western Illinois. I thought it was a walleye, but it turns out if was a suageye which would of been pretty darn close to the state record. Hopefully she is still swimming around waiting for someone else.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
wow matt! that's a dandy fish. :shock: it's cool how the eyes glare light like that. they look like mini headlights with hi-beams on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts