Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The water temperature was 76º this morning. The river is back down to average levels at a flow rate of 933 cubic feet per second.

The Fishin' Musician stopped by today and said even though the water level is dropping, the smallies are still hanging out at the 1st current seam near shore. He also said he was having success with rolling a split shot along the bottom dressed with a leech.

Just a reminder, even though the Batavia Bridge is under construction, it is still open to two way traffic. Parking is a little less convenient than in years past, but the fishing is still as good as ever!

See ya out there!! 8)

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Yeah stay out of the middle area or buy a nice life insurance policy, lol. That part has really opened up in the middle where the original breach was. Depending on the water levels that whole upper area is potholed with 4-5ft holes. Even though the depth isn't the necessarily a concern it can make for some tricky walking and the area where they tore out the old dam still has some dangerous stuff around, I saw a cluster of broken concrete with rebar sticking out last time I was there, it'd be good fun to slip and fall and land on that :)

Best bet is to work downstream towards the forest preserve, I prefer the western shoreline but both hold fish. About 1/4 mile down you can start working the backside of the first island cluster. Plenty of rock bars, riffle's, seams and fallen timber in that area so should be decent fishing. Lure choice shouldn't be a huge issue, I always tell folks to use whatever they are confident will catch fish. Batavia Bait & Tackle has a few of those JDC skip-n-pop baits left, I almost bought them out last time I was there but ran out of $$$ :) That's what I would use in the green pumpkin color, the pause is the key. Good luck Dooder!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.