Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Hey Nick, IM heading out tonite with Larry and possibly Kool-Aid. Larry said if you wanna join us on the fox man, your more than welcome. Hit me up on my cell when you get out of work. Talk to ya soon. As for Crappies on the Fox, Prince-O-Pike can possibly help ya with some tips. Send him a PM, He's a Nice Kid...

Dave

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I was catching some real nice ones up until my last time out. For the last several years I've been finding them suspended in deep, slow eddies for a good portion of fall. Once the water temps start getting around 40 they seem to seek out warmer water..creeks and discharges. If you get into a good school of them and they are really aggressively feeding it is not uncommon to have 100+ fish days.

I almost never use live bait. Tiny jigs and plastics under a bobber almost always catch fish. Since they suspend ALOT, the bobber is merely a means to present the bait at the right depth. Retrieve with lots of twitches and pauses and if your not getting bit, experiment with depth.

Here's a couple from an outing about a week and a half ago:

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Nice crappies ya got there! 100 fish day would be insane! Is it too late for small jig and twisters, worked slowly?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Nice Craps!!! :D

Well, the River is way High. If I was to go tonite. I would be a floating duck down river, or should I say a sinking anchor hung up under a dam.... It is Rockin!!! :?

be careful out there guys...

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
JB said:
Nice crappies ya got there! 100 fish day would be insane! Is it too late for small jig and twisters, worked slowly?
I'm not sure why, but I've never had much luck on twisters for crappies. Mini-mites, nail tails, 1" tubes, and panfish assassins are some examples of things that have worked well for me in the past. The fish pictured were caught on about 1" of the tail cut off of a perch pattern power minnow on a 1/64 oz. jig.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Yeah next few days will bring that down a few degrees for sure. Now all we need is a little rain/snow. :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow that guy is dark. Nice looking fish.

I measured the river at 42 degrees a few days ago when I was out. You sure it was 45? The height/speed also varies pretty greatly with where you're at on the river.

·
Registered
511 Posts
been getting out latly doing all sorts of experiments. but, crappies and bluegills are moving into backwaters, so any of you that want to catch some. go drop 1/64 jigs with 2-4 lb line with TINY TINY soft plastics, try tipping with waxies or spikes.use a stiffer light action pole too with an anti reverse reel, those luegill that exceed almost a pound fight hard! and keepyour rod tip up on those crappie, theyll shake it rite off. :wink:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep, the panfish are definately goin out there. The deepest part of the channels and creeks have been the best for me. Try log jams in deeper pools as well. i have been using crappie minnows on gold hooks about 4 foot down on a light bobber.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was out for a couple of hours this afternoon and caught 12 sunfish. I could not believe how large they were. Almost all were handsize. Is this the same kind of production that I could expect in the summer?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.