Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught these beauties today on river, near Ottawa. Was using a brand new, custom built St.Croix medium-light, fast action 6'-10" pole, Shimano Stradic 3000 reel with 8lb test Berkely Fireline. Was my new bass fishing pole. The big one (bottom photo) broke new pole. Piss me off. Didn't expect to hook into anything of this size. Caught using night crawler.

Just thought I'd share a couple nice fish photos. Released all fish. What a good day. I love fishing.

P.S. Would anybody like to try to estimate the weight on the last picture. The big one. Didn't have a scale and I am no good at estimating weight. I was thinking 40 pounds? Please let me know what you think. Caught on 8lb test. Thanks a million...

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Dude... nice cats! I'd say that last fish is easily 40+.

Bummer about the new rig. I'll bet they'd replace it for ya though. Give it a shot. Contact St. Croix directly. With a receipt showing purchase date and these pics, you might have a chance of getting a replacement.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JasonN said:
Dude... nice cats! I'd say that last fish is easily 40+.

Bummer about the new rig. I'll bet they'd replace it for ya though. Give it a shot. Contact St. Croix directly. With a receipt showing purchase date and these pics, you might have a chance of getting a replacement.
Thanks guys. On 8lb line, it took about 20 minuets or more just to get it to the surface so I could see what kind of monster I was dealing with. Once he would see daylight, boom, back to bottom, and wasn't much I could do about it either.

There were a few spectators from shore, couple boats passing by, and a bunch of people crossing bridge at time. Had quit the audience gathering. Once I finally pulled that big freak of nature from water, everybody erupted in cheers and clapping. So much for my new honey hole.

JasonN, I thought about your suggestion. Contacting St.Croix about breaking pole. However, it wasn't fish that actually broke pole. As I was fighting fish, he wrapped around the anchor line. Didn't realize it until we seen anchor line going crazy. My brother pulled up anchor until we seen reel line. Trying to attempt to free line. I grabbed my reel line, wrapped around my hand a couple times and tried to pull him in by hand (at this point, we haven't seen fish yet). Big mistake. Damn thing took off, about cut my hand off, rod tip was a foot past the still taught anchor line. 6 inches down from top eyelet is where it was looped around anchor line. As he ran, I scream OUCH, let line go, and SNAP! About the top foot of pole snapped off in a blink of an eye. Finally got untangled, then finished the fight.

So, its technically my fault. But will try to contact them and see what they say. Rod and reel both are only 3 - 4 weeks old. Also, I have a pole set up for cat fishing. Cheap Wal-mart medium action pole with older Quantum Energy reel. Still only 8lb test. Once I got new pole and reel, I designated new one as strictly for bass. Don't ask me why I grabbed good pole knowing I was going fishing for cats. Don't know what St.Croix will say. Either way, will take this as a hard lesson learned.

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
All 3 are awsome fish! I've found that flats are usually more live bait feeders like small suckers or sunfish, not crawlers or cut bait takers. So cool you got them on crawlers.

You can also catch them that size pretty regular on the Rock River, below a couple of the dams.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Lip_Yanker said:
All 3 are awsome fish! I've found that flats are usually more live bait feeders like small suckers or sunfish, not crawlers or cut bait takers. So cool you got them on crawlers.

You can also catch them that size pretty regular on the Rock River, below a couple of the dams.
Right about this time of year they are in the spawn. In fact, the first one looks like it just spawned out. During this time they will bite anything to defend the nest or when they are trying to fill back up after the spawn. My biggest to date which was a 30lb+ came on chicken liver on the slack water side of a laydown and she was full of eggs, similar to this HAWG.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well good news about the new pole. I contacted the builder of my pole (R.W. Rod in Minnesota). Thanks JasonN. Explained in detail what had happened. And that I wasn't looking for any handout or freebie. Just looking to replace. He said he honored my honesty and would build a new one for price of blank and shipping. So, everything is working out awesome. Have to send my broken one back. Will cost me about 60 bucks (blank + shipping to + shipping back), but for a new $250 St.Croix pole, I think well worth it. Glad to see there are still good people in this world.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
FishinMatt said:
Lip_Yanker said:

Right about this time of year they are in the spawn. In fact, the first one looks like it just spawned out. During this time they will bite anything to defend the nest or when they are trying to fill back up after the spawn. My biggest to date which was a 30lb+ came on chicken liver on the slack water side of a laydown and she was full of eggs, similar to this HAWG.
I wasn't aware the river was that warm already. I figured it would be a few weeks yet since they are spawing in southern tributaries now. The flats will spawn first, then the channel's and blues typically follow.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Nice cat!

I'd be guessing at the weight!

Took my bride the kids & dog to the state park near utica.
Passed your spot on the way to Utica to go hiking.

Tons of shore and boat fishermen.

Day looked almost too nice to sit around.

That cat put up a hell of a fight.

Sorry too hear about the rod.
Send the tip back, you'd be surprised if they repair or replace it.

:D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Legend075 said:
:shock: teh last one easy 40+. Outstanding job on 8# test damm.
Thanks. On 8lb line, it was a struggle. I was thinking this fish could go 40+. I am 5'11" and about 175lbs.

Now, I don't have any problem with mono line, but that new Berkely Fireline is something else. Tough sh*t. Just get snagged and try to break. Frieline Crystal 8lb is the diameter of 3lb on mono. So it says on package. Like a strand of hair. At 15 bucks for 125 yards, it'd better be good. Used to use Spiderwire, but that was like 10 years ago. Crap used to backlash off spinning spool all the time. Never had one problem with the Fireline. Love it. Great knot strength and I would recommend it for any application. Only problem, needed to learn the blood knot. Little tricky your first time...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.