Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have heard of great success on the fox in the lower Wisconsin are from above the wilmette dam.

I have heard of more success in the lower wisconsin area for cats but below the wilmette dam in illinois not so much. Also I Have been out a bit and have had no luck in the norther illinois area. Is it because there area a huge cat population above the dam and they cannot come down over the dam? Any information is thankful thanks.

·
Registered
428 Posts
sounds to me that thier fat and lazy

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is just as many catfish of above the dams than below them! I'm a flathead junkie! Hopefully by this Sunday, Monday , fishing below the dams will be comfortable. I know there is alot of them stacked in all of the dams right now. And not being able to fish them much the last three summers due to all the high water is killing me. Like you guys say the river is dropping like a rock the last 2 days now. And dropping even faster up north! So if you want to tie into a monster flathead , in my opinion start wading below the dams starting next week, nobody has been fishing them all year due to the high water this year. So their hasn't been much pressure for them below the dams this season. Live Bluegills, creekchubs, and bullheads work the best for me. So pitch some the those into the dams and HANG ON! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
According to a fisheries bioligist I know that studied the Fox . . . a conversation I had went like this . . .

"Do you know where all the 4 to 6 foot deep holes are?"

"Well, from Geneva to all the way down past Yorkville for a few miles, yes I do know where a lot of them are."

"Flatheads in the 40 to 60 pound range can be found in all of them, sometimes stacked up like cord wood. Whether or not it's near a dam makes no difference what so ever."

"Really . . . "

I've proven it to myself numerous times since being told that. I fish the same holes for smallies and have hooked into fish in these holes that I can't get off the bottom. I never go back to target them because I have no interest in fishing for slimy bottom dwelling fish.

For channel cats, find a section of the river that is 2 feet deep or deeper. Fish it. Doesn't matter where it is. Channel cats are the second most plentiful fish in the river after carp. If you wade across the river and get into water 2 feet deep or deeper, there's a good chance you're kicking them out of the way as you walk.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know this has probably been discussed- but where is the best place to go bluegill hunting on the fox? I'm looking for an area that (should i be so lucky) is between batavia and south elgin-

Also- Ken... umm... want to give a hint where you have discovered some of those catfish holes seeing as your not going to go after the slimy fellas? :wink:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Bluegills: mouth of Ferson creek near 31 bridge. Mill creek under 31 bridge and next pool up.

Holes: This is a tough one. I need to mark a map. Batavia, west side where the wall ends and the outflow wraps around the shore. In between Clark Islands, one of them is next to impossible to walk through.

Les Arends Forest Preserve near Mooseheart, straight out from the middle parking lot and go left, then downstream where all the water comes back together after going through the islands, that whole stretch actually all the way past the mouth of Mill Creek, there's more but hard to explain.

Route 30 bridge, west side.

Down from the crap plant in Montgomery. Outside the flats before you get to the high wires. That will make sense when you see it. Up from the crap plant by the tracks.

Indian Trail Road, west side from the bridge to the end of the island.

And more and more. Really need a map.

I never went north of Geneva much. Can't help you there.

Oh yeah, Geneva. That park down from the railroad tracks that has the big windmill near the entrance. Can't remember the name of it. There's a bike path that goes over the river. That whole area gets relatively deep.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree with you 100 percent ken G. I've been fishing for flatheads on the fox and rock river for the last 13 years, wading ,from shore, and boat. Since this topic pertains to dams, I'm just saying once these dams are wadable hopefully in a few days if we don't get any heavy rains, you can can get some big numbers,especially with the high water all year and not being wadable much this year, there hasn't been any heavy pressure below the dams. My buddy caught a 41 incher 30lbs 5 ouncer last week in just 3 feet of water next to some heavy wood. flatheads love heavy wood cover, big boulders, bridge pillars, dams,deep holes, and even like Ken says just 4 feet of water.As far as catching bluegills I do really good below the St.Charles dam, from shore on the east side, bobber and wax worms, also a ice jig called a bluegill killer their purple and chrome. Below the South Elgin dam on the east side is usually good also. South of the bridge in South elgin, after the first cove on the east side is a pretty good spot also.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Fished the clark island advice the past two weekends. Heard plenty of cheering from the little league games and lazily day dreamed they where cheering for me to catch fish. Quite a few fishermen out there both times. I fished in the early afternoon which i believe turned out to be my undoing. Didn't quite find the spot ken was talking about. There seem to be two islands separating the river into three sections. I manly fished the east two sections of river ignoring the third. The first island had the 'wall' although i might call it some sort of ancient Batavia ruins. Fished the first time with some night crawlers and the second with minnows. I believe total, i spent 17 hours waiting in line at gander mt. They need some faster workers. Not much luck but that's what you get when you fish the heat of the day not trying to hard. Didn't have any trouble finding the carp. Also a few tiny smallies. (and by few i mean one landed, one lost, and one follower.) No catfish but I blame el nino, the sun constantly in my eyes, and a small terrorizing patch of poison ivy.

Best of luck other angler :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.