Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I got a question,

What kind of rod/reel/line do you guys use for slop-fishing in general (more specifically frog fishing in the lily-pads?)

I had a real hard time casting the frog yesterday morning b/c it just weighs so little b/c it's hollow -- and I was using my 7' Medium Heavy baitcaster with 20 lb mono and was back-lashing like never before even w/ my thumb heavy on the spool. I think b/c the bait weighs so little and I was trying to cast farther, it just didn't work.

I suppose I could try using fireline or braid with a smaller line diameter, or maybe use a different rod in general for frog-fishing. I just assumed that you would want to use a heavy rod/line for this kind of fishing b/c you have to haul them out of the weeds.

Has anybody ever somehow added weight to your frogs?

I was using this exact one...

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yes, I crammed a splitshot in through the butt. It rattles around a bit but helps the frog to sink a tad under water, also helped casting. I used the smallest ones I could get and just added until it did what I wanted.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeahhh Topwater that's a good idea, I remember that from a magazine or something long time ago. The split shots inside the turtle = rattling noise which is supposed to help. Nice! I'm gona do it... haha

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Ahhh... the Tournament Frog - one of my favorites!

I rig it on a medium action rod with braided line. I think it's 20 or 30 lb test with a diameter of about 6lb mono. Good stuff. The frog casts great and the fish can be horsed right in.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i use a similar combo but with 12# flourocarbon it's great line and nearly invisible under water. also you can adjust the anti-backlash thats the knob on the right side of the reel so the lure slowly hits the ground and the spool stops as soon as it does also adjust the magnetic knob on the left towards the + side, another trick an ole timer taught me is to turn your wrist to the left as you let her fly so the top of the reel is facing to the left, hope this helps.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Willy, thanks for the tip (esp. about turning my wrist to the left when I cast, I'll have to try it out). Yeah I adjusted the anti-backlash knob/cap on the right side but when I raised it I couldn't cast more than 20-30 feet. It's real annoying b/c I don't have any trouble casting most other lures, just the frogs are so light. But yeah, I'm gona go out tomorrow morning and I'm going to try a different rod/reel and I'll post up how it went.

·
Registered
158 Posts
kool man otherwise if the frog is so lite you might want to try a spinning combo. a lite lure just won't fly as far but you'll get more distance with the spinning combo...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol I tried casting the frog in my backyard looking like an idiot to my neighbors, but I used the same 7 foot med-heavy rod with a diff reel and it casted fine. I guess the first reel I had on there wasn't suited for fishing lighter lures. My new reel also had 17lb mono... don't know how much of a difference that m ade. Now, let's just hope that I'll be able to cast tomorrow morning towards lily pads just as well as I did in my backyard hah hah..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts