Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys use for your froggin rods? not the buzz frogs but the spro kinds.. looking for a new one.. was thinking of going cheap and just getting the mojo bass frog n slop... are the frog rods in the near 200 range worth it? also anyone use a rod longer than 7' for froggin? i hear it helps with hookups when froggin.. let me know, thanks

·
Registered
826 Posts
A 7' to 7.6' heavy or medium heavy rod will do the job. A lot of guys use the telescopic handle rods to accomodate the 7'6" size. You're right the longer length does help with hooksets and leverage.

Personally, I don't think it is worth it to get a $200 froggin' rod. Spend that money on your plastics and jig rods where sensitivity is key. Get something decent but I wouldn't break the bank on the rod.

I use a 7' MH rod that I otherwise use for pitching baits. A variety have worked over the years. Good fishing.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I use the BPS extreme 7'4" Woo Davies Signature series Medium action with a BPS extreme reel (7.1:1 ratio) spooled with 20 lb. test P-Line Spectrex IV. This is almost all I fish with when the spawn is through. That and my topwater rod which is set-up for Zara spooks, buzzbaits, and pop-rs.

·
Registered
826 Posts
tradersteve said:
yeah i use a 7' MH right now too but my hookup ratio isnt as good as i would like.. thanks for the input paul
Steve,
I don't think anyone's hookup ratio is as high as they'd like it. Many times a missed fish is not our fault at all. A bass will miss our frog through the slop or else the slop gets in the way of the hook penetration. I either read or heard a bassmaster once say that he is satisfied with a 75% hookup percentage when slop fishing. We would not be satisfied that with ratio for any other kind of application.

Just make sure you are waiting 3 seconds for the hookset. Last year, I was fishing with a guy who is a pretty accomplished fishermen and he was setting the hook way too early. With his braid and its 0% stretch, he was just pulling the frog right from the fish's mouth. After a little debate, he continued doing it the same way and kept missing fish. My hookup ratio was quite a bit better. Good fishing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.