Chicago Fishing Forum banner

frozen over lakes

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Philosopher in Meditation 
#1 ·
went out to a local pond. It was frozen over it looked sturdy. But well i took 3 steps out and crack. I fell through. Thank god it was only 3 feet of water but still. The ice was 2 inches thick. It looked fine to me. Are there any frozen over lakes how can i find out. I really want to get out and ice fish. My dad just got me a nice ice rod for xmas and i really want to use it. So are there any frozen over lakes.

#8 ·
I would NEVER venture out on ice that is only 2 inches thick.

Guys, don't be stupid out there. 3 feet is plenty enough to cause hypothermia and prevent you from getting out.

Thank God you're ok fishinnut28.

#11 ·
In all seriousness, Fishinut, you need to wait until the ice is safer, and then venture out with someone who has some experience on the ice. You are heading down the wrong path here, and none of us want to see anything bad happen to you. I know you are excited to fish, but take a deep breath and slow down. Your life is too important to be lost because you can't wait to icefish. Last I saw, you were looking to break the ice with household objects and now you have fallen through the ice once. What happens if the water is 20 feet deep next time? Please think about it and be safe.

#12 ·
Like Matt said, wait until the ice improves. It's not worth it for any fish. I have personally seen my brother fall through the ice twice. Once the water was only like 3 feet deep, but the other time it was over his head. Both times I was out on the ice with him and there was at least 4-6 inches of ice. Cracks happen, and trying to break a hole with a sledge hammer is going to cause cracking. I have been going out on the ice for over 40 years and I wouldn't take any chances. It's just not worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.