Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to IG today. Definitely an exercise in frustration.

After catching a couple of forgettable bass on crank baits( This was a first), I decided to break out the shallow runner walleye colored Rapala shap rap that I have had for a while. First cast, it hit like a freight train, a nice bass. I got him to shore and as I lifted him to lip him. The lure stripped the line and fat boy fell in the water with my Rapala. Man them things aint cheap anymore. So if anyone gets a nice bass with a Rapala in its lip.......your welcome.

For some reason this little episode really cheesed me off. What kind of knot would have been better than a palomar knot.

Shortly before I left for the day I went back to the spot that I lost Fat boy, for a couple of last casts. I tied on a 4" Sluggo that had a similar color as the shad rap. I don't often use the 4 inchers much so in retrospect I was using a hook that was on the smallish side given the girth of the Sluggo. I had 2 really nice bass on the line but as I went to set the hook, they spit it on me. Sure enough that hook didn't have a lot of room to travel.

Aaaagggghhhh......

·
Registered
953 Posts
Palomar knots are best for braided line, but typically the improved clinch know is best for mono or fluoro. Also, make sure to wet the line before cinching up the knot. Otherwise the heat created by the friction of the line can weaken the knot.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Too bad you had no good luck. My last fishing trip there the bail closed mid cast and I watched my new chatterbait fly off with no line.
On sunny hot days like today Ive been having alot of luck tossing senkos right into the thickest mats of lillies. You just work it into the gaps between the pads and then once the bass bite you gotta pull them right out so they dont wrap you up in the stems.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The two I could'nt set the hook on the sluggo were in the weeds, for sure. They kind of appeared out of nowhere.

I really want to back there again.

There are some monsters in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.