Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really sure what's going on here. I've only read about 2 lines of text on vhs so I really can't offer any explanation of what this is. Anyone want to save me some reading I wouldn't mind in this case :p

I know there is some shit floating in the water right there but that was because of wind direction. I've seen maybe 10-15 fish with this sort of thing on them this year. I caught a largemouth bass that had this same fungi crap on it's face and his eyeball looked like it was popping out of his head and the connecting tissue/membrane had a blood mixture in it where it would/should normally be clear.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
VHS is more of a fish-ebola-like bleeding disease. Fish Fungus is common. I think of even aquarium fish getting weird stuff. I see a lot of the white eye tumors on Lake Michigan Perch. Some stuff is caused by viruses. I think the immune systems of humans, animals and fish are weakened because of all the chemicals and pollution in our environment making us more susceptible.

Male fish in US and UK rivers are showing up with ovaries and eggs because of all the female hormones in the water from birth control pills and hormone replacement. Probably not much to worry about as fish diseases are common, unless you are seeing lots of really sick fish or fish kills.

Hopefully not too much of an affect on humans...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Looks like a beat up brown to me. I see that a lot in the fall, parts of the fish take a lot of rough stuff and end up almost dead. pigment is lost and the tails or noses or whatever part has the damage turns white like that.

I don't know if that is what is going on here but it could be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.