Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to what kind/type of tools you guys carry with you. Specifically. I've gone through 2 different pairs of pliers already. They seem to rust up super quick, and I don't even get them wet. Apparently I do, if they are rusty, but it's not like they have even been dropped in the water.

Would a fancy pair of stainless-steel be better?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I just use a pair of needle nose pliers. The ones that I have now are made by Rapala and are stainless steel. The ones that I had previously weren't stainless and didn't rust either after several years. The problem is that they don't even need to get wet. If there is any moisture in your tacklebox or tacklebag they will corrode eventually.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it, thanks. The pair that I am using now, it takes 2 hands to open it now, the rust has gotten pretty bad.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I got a pair of craftsman mini-needle nose and mini wire cutters for $10 at sears. I love having the mine wire cutters in the box. The best thing about craftsman is the generous return policy. No questions asked.

My son ran over my craftsman garden hose with the snowblower a couple of years ago. They said go get another one off the shelf.

Not too many place like that any more.

·
Banned
655 Posts
I have a few sets of the Rapala stainless-steel pliers which once in a while need to be sprayed with WD40 or lubed. They just get wet whenever I get into any wrestling matches with the fish I catch when I wade the rivers.

I also carry a small package of pliers and "garage tools" (wire & hook cutters, braided line scissors, huge pliers) in the boat at all times. This year I've found that these tools have been really beneficial when fishing for the fish with teeth.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I have a rapala pliers and scissors set that came with a case that clips to my belt. I've been using it for two years now and really love it. It's nice having it on my belt, it allows me to grab the piers with one hand which helps out when you're holding a fish. Also, the set is always at my side!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone.

Went to Meijers tonight and picked up this little combo pack.
Cool little combo

It also came with a lanyard type necklace. It's got a hook file, a jig eye buster, and a pair of clippers that has a small knife and tiny hook for picking bird's nests.

I'm just going to bring along a multi-tool. One of those 239479245 in 1 knives.

·
Registered
107 Posts
7 IN SURGICAL PLIERS... they never rust and can really get down in there when u need them to... other tools that i use all the time are scissors, hook cutters, line cutters, mouth spreader, and a hook sharpener is a must. i would also recomend some sort of respooling machine b/c it is cheaper to buy the line in bulk and do the changes urself if u fish a lot.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Everyone has great choices. I am always losing my pliers, so no need to worry about the rust. I am usually good for one needlenose a year. The real must have for me is the jaw spreaders. For the toothy fish, those are absolutely essential.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I little tip, whenever you buy beef jerky or a new pair of shoes keep the little pack of silica gel, put it in your tackle box. They are ment to absorb moisture. Keeps thins from rusting.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Big Al said:
I little tip, whenever you buy beef jerky or a new pair of shoes keep the little pack of silica gel, put it in your tackle box. They are ment to absorb moisture. Keeps thins from rusting.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
You can buy bigger versions of the silica packets from Cabellas. They are in the gun accesory section.

Also, I would suggest silicone lube spray over a wd-40 or other petroleum based spray. Wd-40 can cause nasty buildups as it breaks down, that make tools stick.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
twoglasseyes said:
Also, I would suggest silicone lube spray over a wd-40 or other petroleum based spray. Wd-40 can cause nasty buildups as it breaks down, that make tools stick.
TGE is correct about the silicone lube spray. I wouldn't recommend WD-40 for any of your fishing reels or tools, as it is abrasive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.