Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mark, his buddy Ryan, and myself hit the water at Fontana around 9A. After catching some bait to get started we headed over to our first spot. Things were looking good as I hooked up within the first few minutes.

Ryan got on the board a few minutes later and things seemed to be really hot as I put this nice one one in the boat.

Ryan caught a few more and I was fortunate to land another nice one.

The bad thing was that we were missing way more then we were catching. Early in the morning they seemed to really be taking it, but as the day wore on they would grab it, mouth it, and pretty much just sit there with it. We had plenty of drops and short hook ups, just like Fonz and Augman :-?

We then bounced around and tried some more spots without much luck. With the day starting to wind down we headed back to our first spot and it did not disapoint.

We ended the day throwing for largies and saw numerous 4 lb + fish cruising inside the empty slips, but they would not hit. Some of them were the biggest bass I have seen in awhile. It was quite the day on the water and I learned a whole lot. Most of our fish were in 30 feet or more of water today. I may have to shore up my presentation to up my odds for future trips. It is much different fishing then I am accustomed to. Thanks for heading out Mark and Ryan. I look forward to getting out with you guys again.

A fun way to spend my 1 year WCF anniversary!!!

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Nice outing Matt !

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Yami, maybe Geneva Smallies will have to be penciled into our Fall trip next year 8)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Nice Report Matt, glad that you rebounded. Hopefully Me, You and Mike (Coyote) will get together next year some time. I would love to witness these outings first hand, even if its watching you two catching. :D

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Great job Matt as I have said before I miss my boat used to fish there alot I love that lake Those Smallie just about rip your arm off there. Hat's off to you man

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bassman, maybe sometime we can head out. You are just down the road in Geneva. MRB, I am sure we can get together and fish it with Mike sometime next Fall. 3 in the boat is not too bad if the guy in front (me) can keep his line vertical :roll:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wish there was a place closer to home to catch some monster smallies! Nice fish Matt!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Matt im in anytime let me know I used to hit the smallies around the end of April first weekend in may Maybe my spots are still hot

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was out Wenesday and got the brutal skunk. I found a couple small schools, but one was not active and we almost went "The Perfect Storm" trying to stay on the other school battling whitecaps. If we probably would of fished our spots backwards we would of caught some fish, but Mother Nature and missed feeding windows did us in. No worries, I'm a glutton for punishment. I can't end the season on a skunk 8)

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That was a good article but I thought the depths were a bit off. Most of the fish being contacted lately are on the edge of a weedline, with coontail being the most productive. In some spots it may go out to 18-20 feet, and other areas it is at 28-30. Then again Mike Norris is probably knows a few more tricks out there then I do :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts