Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Augman and I tried our luck at Geneva today. Are plan was to get there around 5A and try our hand trolling for eyes. Unfortunately there was a line at the launch so we ended up getting on the water at dawn. After going a whole season without boat trouble, today made up for it. The foot pedal on my trolling motor went out, making it almost useless for the day. To make matters worse, a pin broke on my power cord for the depth finder, so that was out of service as well. Having limited mobility and no depth readings, we decided to try around the docks. On about my 3rd cast I got a nice one on a blue chatterbait. Augie missed a topwater fish and I lost a nice fish and had a big pike hit short at the boat. As the sun came up we switched to plastics and caught around 10 more fish. I had a legitmate 6 lb+ fish charge up on a 4'' Dinger multiple times, but it would not take it :x As the sun got higher the largies slowed, and all we were getting was rock bass. We decided to catch some bait, and try out deeper for smallies. We used our weights to guestimate the weed edge and ended up with 4 of 5 nice fish. We both lost what looked to be 20''+ fish boatside as well. It was a fun day, but it looks like a trip to BPS is in order to fix the Astro up right :p

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
Nice fish, Matt! Looks like you've had a couple of days with boat/trolling motor problems. :eek: Did you let Augy borrow your boat before you used it?! :shock: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I kind of felt like an old Indian fishing guide :p Probably more luck involved with getting on the smallies then anything. We picked a general area that had been good in the past, and Augie had a fish on before his bait even hit the bottom. While we were catching bait, I also had a smallie grab a perch on my ultralight and snap me off which was pretty cool.

I was going to buy a better depthfinder this winter, so now I have an excuse to get one earlier :D Hopefully I can get everything fixed and be back out there in a few weeks.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hope you get up and running soon.. Nice job still getting on the fish.

Sounds like a perch pattern bite has started. Is this something that usually starts end of summer early fall or is it year around? What size range of perch do usually use for bait on Geneva?

NPIKE

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The perch bite is deifinitly on. We each had fish coming all the way to the surface chasing the perch when we were reeling them up. Getting slammed with a foot of line out over 30 feet of water is a heart stopper. If my graph was working and I had known, we would of fished with them all morning. Perch size seems to vary. Normally I like them in the 4'' range mostly because it is easier to to get the hook in the smallie and there are less drops.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.