Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having not been up to SE WI since May, I decided to do a weekend trip to make up for lost time. August is usually a month I rarely fish either lake because for the most part artificial fishing can be tough. I could not find a room for under $150 anywhere in Delavan so I would be roughing it out in the truck Saturday night. Just like old times :p

Saturday morning I was on the water at Geneva by 5A and worked the weed edge for largemouth for about an hour. It was a decent chatterbait bite as I went 3 for 4.

I really wanted to guage the deep smallie bite to see if the way I like to fish them was going yet. The first spot I was again 3 for 4 with the lost fish feeling like the nicest of the bunch.

I tried 2 other spots with nothing to show and by that time the wind and pleasure boat traffic made things very difficult. I even had my front seat mount crack while I was motoring across the lake because some of the wakes made were so violent :roll: I spent the last hour or so skipping docks which was a very good bite with several smaller 1-2lb fish landed but the wind made boat control too difficult and I ended up breaking off some very nice fish as it was impossible to get the bigger fish out and control the boat at the same time :eek:

After taking the boat out I met Coyote at Delavan at 3P for Round 2. Delavan was also a zoo and shortly after launching I had the scariest moment of my boating career. A wake so big went over the bow that the front end of my boat was completely submerged for a good 5 seconds. I honestly thought the whole boat was going down. All my gear in the front was actually floating out of the boat. Finally the nose recovered and barely made it back out of the water. One more large wave and we would of been done. Luckily we were close enough to the shore that we made it to a dock to bilge. I still had tons of water in the front of the hull that was not bilging and the front end of the boat was still sitting very low. Our only fishing option was to drift the shoreline we were at back in the direction of the launch.

We pitched some docks and Mike was able to nab a few fish before catching a nice one on his first cast with a spinner bait.

I switched over to the color he was using and quickly banged another nice largie

After catching a decent pike this 19 1/2'' smallie suprisingly hit in 4 feet of water :shock:

After missing, losing, and getting bit off in a number of frustrating scenerios, we finally got to the time that we both had been waiting for.........buzzbait time. We had some huge pike explosions and I think we were 0 for 6 at one point. We both thought there were 2 separate 30'' fish working the area. After letting the area rest for a few minutes we came back and finally connected.

At that point I was very content with everything and not really paying attention when the water exploded at the boat with another big fish.

This one measured in at 36 1/4'' and just had a massive girth. We did not bring the net out with us and it was right at about my limit for hand landing a fish :p I could not get my hand around its back but luckily was able to gill it and it played nice for us in the boat and was a quick release.

After getting off the water I went into the resort bar for a quick meal and a few drinks before spending the night in the beast. As I was sitting there someone tapped me on the shoulder and low and behold it was Culprit who was up there for a family vacation. After closing that bar down we headed over the afterhours bar and probably had a few too many 8)
I put out an invitation to fish in the morning with me and Aris was right on time at 4:55AM :wink:

The morning was VERY slow with a few buzzbait misses before I finally put something on the board.

I was praying Aris would not get skunked as it just seemed like that kind of day with strong winds, bluebird skies, and boat traffic everywhere. Finally Aris hooked up on an outside weed edge.

We really were working the docks hard for some bass and were rewarded with a Delavan Football.

After that several smaller bass were landed and around noon we got off the water. It was a nice suprise for sure and it was a pleasure to finally be able to fish with the Zen-Master 8)

All in all it was a tough weekend with fortunately a few nice fish sprinkled in. Kind of what I expected and I don't imagine I will be going back to after Labor Day when the water cools down and the traffic starts to dwindle.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Wow sounds like a wild weekend. Glad to hear the boats ok and it didn't turn out worse.

Nice job on the bass and Outstanding pike.. I have yet to get an over 30 pike out of there. Hopefully I can get one more crack at it on Delavan before the seasons over.

Great post......

NPIKE

·
Super Moderator
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. There is nothing like a big pike exploding on a topwater in about a foot of water. In '05 Mike introduced me topwater fishing pike and for awhile it was a complete obsession for me. It was nice to get out and reconnect to something I love to do with the guy that wrote the book on topwaters for pike on Delavan.

That boat situation about gave me a heart attack. I kept thinking of the charter boat that sunk in Lake Michigan the exact same way. So much water came over their bow the front end just could not recover and it sunk nose first. That was insanely close to happening. One thing that I did not mention is that the front hull was still holding some water from Geneva which I did not think about unitl after the fact. When my seat mount broke every wave that broke the front end of the boat was going over the broken seat mount and collecting water underneath my floor boards up front. After taking the boat out I was able to raise the front end high enough to release the water. The mount is an easy fix and once I get it done it will make things nice and safe again. I have taken on waves bigger then that before with no issues so it certainly was a crazy experience that thankfully had a safe ending.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Great job! Beautiful smallie and pike.

LOL- some of those spots on Delavan look very familar to me.

You're making me think that an overnight trip to Delavan/Geneva on a weekend is not such a crazy idea.

·
Registered
953 Posts
That is one heck of pike you got there. Looks like a good time. I might have to start following you around and tapping you on the shoulder. :wink:

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Wow what a action packed 5 hours , from the time we got on the water we knew it wasnt going to be easy. IVE never seen that much water come over the front of the boat, as Matt said it truly was a nerve racking couple of minutes.Thank god that bilge was in working order , at my age someone would have proably been giving me mouth to mouthhad we gone in :D As far as the fishing i think we were pretty lucky to find a fish or two before evening considering the options we had.The topwater bite on Delavan has no equal for big pike . There is always a shot or two for a mid 30s fish. We had both of these fish on 15 -20 minutes before and knew they would hit again..... it was only a matter of running out of daylight. Matt did a great job of bringing in the big boy. Thanks Matt for the short tripits always a blast going back to the old days and doing things that still work . Aris if i knew you be in bar id have bought you a gryos, sorry i missed you. Matt did you go in the bar in my wifes clothes i left you or did yours dry out? :D

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I would have soiled myself if a wave like that came over the front of my boat. I'm glad you made it out that situation alright.

All those fish are really nice and it's cool that you got to fish with Mike and Aris.

Any thoughts about trading your boat in a a deep v?

·
Super Moderator
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the kind words guys. Hopefully as we go along I get a chance to hook with more of the WCF crew as you all are top notch dudes.

Mike, I did not wear your wifes shirt that night as off the water it was really warm out. I did sport it in the morning though. It was comfy, but admitingly looked kinda gay.

Sean, a deep v is my next boat. Either a Lund Explorer or Pro-V. Unless I really see something I can't pass up, I probably am going to wait another couple of years to make sure I really get what I want though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.