Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I saw on a different fishing site that UV was better than the normal flashers to charge glow spoons. Supposedly it makes them glow longer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've heard that camera flashed make the spoons glow a little too bright and tend to spook fish. I think the UV lights makes them glow longer and not as bright.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
RobBull said:
I've heard that camera flashed make the spoons glow a little too bright and tend to spook fish. I think the UV lights makes them glow longer and not as bright.
That's the same thing that I heard. There's also some discussion on another fishing board whether or not the glowing is actually necessary. Personally, I think that it helps.

·
Registered
358 Posts
i dont know if it helps that much, when i go king fishing we use rat l traps and we have a couple glow traps and i caught a 15lber on a glow trap but i didnt have it glowing, and my dad caught a 24lb lake trout on a regular rat l trap

·
Registered
87 Posts
Anyone know when the lakers or brown trouts are coming in? I caught a couple of browns (I think they were browns) off the pier in Waukegan, but they didn't look particulary healthy.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I find that if you fish cranks, you don't need to charge them (all action is built in...if it has a rattle), but charging spoons is a good idea. When I went to Dick's to get my new reel, I picked up a LED headlamp (one of those things coal miners wear), which is very handy when fishing in the dark. That thing was only $10. I also picked up a tiny LED keychain for $2. It's VERY bright and it charges my spoons nicely. That flashlight is nice, but I just don't see it as very practical when charging lures (it's kind of big), but it would charge lures well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the info on the UV light.

RobBull, here are two pics of what Browns look like:

Here's one of a Brown placed above a King:

These pics are from a LM charter trip from this past Saturday morning.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
now those are healthy fish eric! what a difference eh? that's a purrty brown!!

glowmates products glow the longest of all the glow lures i've used. glow rat traps suck when it comes to glowing longevity. i use a small keychain uv light and it keeps my glowmates lit for at a good 5-6 casts.

www.glowmates.com

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. But I really wasn't posting these to show them off--can't take much credit for fish caught on chartered outtings, given that I didn't rig them nor put them in the water. The boat did most of the work.

I just thought that since I had a pic of a brown available, I'd post it for RobBull to compare if the fish he was catching in Waukegan were of the same type.

I think I might just buy one of these UV flash lights on ebay. Maybe not the big 49 lights one, but one that has 12 bulbs on it.

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
The glow products seem to be losing some of their steam. I personally don't fish the Fall run, but like to keep up on the reports. It seems that the guys that are thinking a little outside the box (cranks) are consistently putting fish on the board. I have also heard of many guys getting consistent catches with nonglow spoons at night. I wonder myself if it matters.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts