Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BFS action on Des Plains river . Downsizing paid off as I nailed 7 and lost 3 . Notable catches 14.5 inch smallmouth, 14 inch smallmouth , 3 sauger coming in at 14.5 inch 16 inch and 19 inch . MIcro lures were key as lippless cranks in gold and red , gold micro crank bait , beetle spin, and mule swim jig in chartreuse on 1/16 ounce mule jig head all connected . Light line action was a blast . Switched on rod from 4 lb test to 6 lb magna thin I had laying around the house made big difference as line is light and strong. 223 for the yr.
Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Scaled reptile Bank

Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Natural material Sky

Fisherman Fish Fishing Recreational fishing Ray-finned fish

Plant Natural environment Terrestrial animal Sky Grass

Fisherman Plant Fish Fishing Recreational fishing

Plant Food Jaw Wood Natural material

Clothing Vertebrate Fisherman Beard Outdoor recreation

Sky Beard Fisherman Fish Fishing

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Mmmm... toothy!! Good lookin' Saugers! I had to change my offseason light line from 4 to 6 as well as that 4lb is a nightmare to work with. You can barely see it and it pops any time you try to work with it or unsnaggle it!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mmmm... toothy!! Good lookin' Saugers! I had to change my offseason light line from 4 to 6 as well as that 4lb is a nightmare to work with. You can barely see it and it pops any time you try to work with it or unsnaggle it!
Same. I really forgot how good stren magna thin is . 6 lb is like 4lb diameter.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Pretty cool multispecies action! I'm curious, why do you use BFS over a spinning setup?
I actually use spinning as well . My bfs set up also inckude one spinning set up i use for micro swimbaits. But I got into bfs last year and it has been a blast . The baitcasters give me control and accuracy that helps me in certain situations. Plus I just like baotcasters better in long run. Throwing lite stuff on a baitcaster is just fun as hell. I have a med lite for ned rig and bottom stuff with a kasking zephyr with 10lb braid . I have a lite action rod with another zephyr with 8 lb braid i use for singehook micro spinnerbaits 1/8 -1/4 ounce and I have a 2 tip ultra lite /lite rod with a pw100 with 4-6 lb mono for treble hook stuff . Then one spinning set up lite action with a 1000 seriers reel . Thats my bfs arsenal. I use these after ice out up to prespawn . Then mid summer during dog days then late fall early winter to maxamise strikes. Pre spawn and fall run i use normal size stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts