Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing to do with gear or with fishing (unless you consider the REALLY big picture) - we've signed a contract to put solar on our house. Should be done in the next few months.

My reasons for doing it are twofold: 1) Do our little bit to try to help save the planet. 2) Save some money. Saving the planet is more important than saving money but if we can do both it's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

I'll update with any news and of course with info on savings if any.

Reactions: ganz1960

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Nice. Is it through the ComEd program? We just received a letter to sign up for that, but I checked their website again and they said our house is a no go- so not sure why they asked us to be part of the program.

Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Today's the day. They estimate they'll be done by 5:00 PM. Had to trench across the yard to connect the panels on the garage roof to the house. Grass will probably grow back next spring.

Gotta say I'm pretty excited.

Reactions: ganz1960

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Pictures or it didn't happen. As time goes on, let us know if there's any appreciable reduction of your electric bill.

I filled out the application they sent us about 6-7 weeks ago. Then they sent someone out to look at our location and turned us down. I asked if they would put the panels on the garage, they said no, was to much work? So, there's that.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It'll be at least 3 weeks before we're fully functional. Inspections, replacement of meter, etc.

We have a total of 24 panels. 18 on house, 6 on garage.

Fully intend to update re results. Of course by the time we're set to go we'll be headed into the darkest months of the year.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Have you looked into solar water heating also? It's not as costly as you might think and pretty cool to get the bulk of your water heated for free. Real affordable if you do a simple system that you drain for the winter--pricier if you do an antifreeze system that you can use year round.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not yet. When our hot water tank craps out - probably not anytime soon - I'll probably go with a tankless system.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Final inspection next Wednesday. Then it's on ComEd to do the switch over. They're way behind - we were told it might take another 15 weeks! Holy shit...

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Then it's on ComEd to do the switch over. They're way behind - we were told it might take another 15 weeks!
By then we'll be down to 2-1/2 hours of daylight each day. Your usage for going out there with a hair blow-dryer to melt the snow and ice off your panels will exceed your solar output. ☀❄

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
By then we'll be down to 2-1/2 hours of daylight each day. Your usage for going out there with a hair blow-dryer to melt the snow and ice off your panels will exceed your solar output. ☀❄
One of their referrals I talked with said the highest she paid ComEd since having the panels installed was $60 for a month when her panels were mostly covered with snow. This ain't California so we won't see the full effect until spring. BTW - $60 is still plenty less than we pay now.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: Final inspection happened this AM & all's good. Cutover in 2 weeks or sooner.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
One of their referrals I talked with said the highest she paid ComEd since having the panels installed was $60 for a month when her panels were mostly covered with snow. This ain't California so we won't see the full effect until spring. BTW - $60 is still plenty less than we pay now.
Rambler, what's you're average monthly now? It must be high if you're saying $60 is plenty less than you're paying now. Yikes!

FWIW- I looked at ours and we're averaging $73 a month the last two years.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Usually around $150. In our old house it was a bit higher.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Seems high Rambler, my bill just came in and is $69.43. I have not made it into the "Great Efficient" user group according to ComEd.

Changing to a solar outside light instead of the large LED cobb bulb out front made a noticeable difference. Also replaced 13 fluorescents in the kitchen and shop with LEDs. Better light as long as you used the frosted bulbs. Instant on no warm-up needed

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
He's on WCF 20 hours a day and using a large CRT monitor. The other 4 hours a day, he spends surfing the web and reading news. Rambler was forced into going solar. Personally, I think one of these would have been much cheaper.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went with mostly LEDs long ago. Not sure why our bill is so high but in a few weeks it won't matter.

Ron - love the Gilligan thing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts