Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This saturday, June 21, there is a kids catfishing tournament at the Gompers lagoon. This tournament is only for those registered. They have cops and park employees making sure of this. But the tournament ends pretty early on and that leaves tons of time for fishermen to have their way with some pretty decent sized catfish.

I wouldn't recommend eating them. Me and my buddy tried this last year and it wasn't very good. However, they are a blast to catch! One other thing is there is some metal grate at the bottom of the pond and it's only about 2 1/2 feet deep. I usually just throw some stink bait out there about a foot and a half under the bobber. If you find a hole they'll hit cast after cast.

After that initial weekend it's near impossible to catch these suckers. I'm sure there are a few monsters in there that have managed to survive one of these tourneys but by now they've probably found a nice mud hole to live in or something.

Anyway, just a heads up. Gompers Park Saturday June 21, around noon.

All the catfish you can hope to catch. Promise!

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
The Park's Deepest point is about 10 feet deep, Last year it was drained to Take a lot of the Plastic Grate off the bottom which was originally put in to prevent algae build up but turned into a coordinators worst nightmare when they weren't expecting anglers fishing line to be able to pull it up. The Catfish are stocked about a week in advance and Squad cars from the 17th district police station Patrol it 24 Hours a day. The Catfish stocked Usually Range between a 1/2 lb to a 1lb 1/2 And I believe the The Age limit is up to 14 You can call your local park district and they'll give you all the details. Fishing stays pretty good For about a week, But that all depends on how many Bucket heads are there. Gompers park changed the Daily stringer limit to 3 Fish daily when it was originally set at 6 to try and get the population started again after Redoing the Whole park In I believe 2002 or 2003. If Anyone Reading this Decides to go Please don't bother unless you have children, This is a great opportunity for your children, nephews and there friends to get a taste of what we get every weekend.

17th district police station is about 3-4 blocks away from Gompers park, And Detectives stroll through pretty often checking limits and licenses

Lets make this a fun Outing For THE KIDS :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.