Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Good day again with a creepy looking fish too.

5K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  mangostenmaster 
#1 ·
Got another whopper and a decent eater plus some sort of chinook salmon/trout hybrid lookin thing. Looks pretty freakin creepy to me. DNR conservation officer came around to check licenses and I asked him what it was and he was puzzled. He said it could be a coho. Coho???? I thought. It looks like a chinook to me. He really wasn't sure what the hell it was. I kept it whole and tossed it in the freezer in case I caught some sort of new mutant breed and if the DNR wanted to examine it. Who knows, I could be the first ever angler to pull up a salmon in Axehead history. To be honest, I really don't want my family to eat such an ugly looking thing.

Temps on the cooler side. Mild breeze out of the north. Fished from 5:45 to 8:30. All fish landed before 7am.

Met cubsfan this morning. Good to meet ya Tony.

Here's the catch for the day.

and a few pics closer up of the mutant.

notice the spotted dorsal fin

look at the weird, almost feet like fins.

See less See more
#9 ·
it was yummy!!

r u crazy! i barely wanted to touch it! i tossed in the freezer thinking the dnr would want it but they never responsed to my email. it was taking up quite a bit of room in the freezer so i tossed it. it scared the crap out of me when i saw it surface! :mrgreen:

#14 ·
prince o pike said:
that is a chum salmon, they sometimes get mixed with the trout :D , they look cool! nice surprise augy...ay?
Looks like a form of atlantic salmon to me... But the thing is that Atlantic salmon are more related to Browns than Rainbows. Then again, there are tiger trout, so why not? It could very well be a Chum salmon though... Look at this one and the simularities.
http://home.gci.net/~lifesize.fish/Chumsalmon.jpg

#16 ·
mplant1 said:
red cheeks and square tail = trout. could be some beat up old farm raised rainbow. what color was the meat?
Maybe, it's a juvenile King salmon, or a juvenile Atlantic salmon from a Illinois DNR Hatchery. Do you still have the specimen? I think the DNR would be VERY Intërested in Yöur discovery. Besides, it's gums in the pic looked like they were black... or atleast not white...

#18 ·
mangostenmaster said:
WAIT... This looks nearly like a Brook trout without the white cheeks and spots! So maybe it's a Brook trout/Chinook Salmon. Hybrid! If that is possible...
No, its not possible.

This fish is a trout. Its not a baby chinook either. I'm telling you a square tail = trout. That's just the way it is in the salmon/trout world. Salmon have forked tails, with the exception of the Lake Trout.

The red cheeks is also a give away that its a trout. I say its rainbow, but just a little messed up looking...

By the way, this thread is from 2006...how did it come back up???

#20 ·
mplant1 said:
mangostenmaster said:
WAIT... This looks nearly like a Brook trout without the white cheeks and spots! So maybe it's a Brook trout/Chinook Salmon. Hybrid! If that is possible...
No, its not possible.

This fish is a trout. Its not a baby chinook either. I'm telling you a square tail = trout. That's just the way it is in the salmon/trout world. Salmon have forked tails, with the exception of the Lake Trout.

The red cheeks is also a give away that its a trout. I say its rainbow, but just a little messed up looking...

By the way, this thread is from 2006...how did it come back up???
Well, now that you mention, trout, either it's a hybrid, or a Brookie. Don't salmon usually have non white mouths?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.