Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
don't listen to rootpro. anyone who thinks play doh is good is an idiot. i'm sorry, but its true.

you wanna chase trout you can start now. some steelhead and browns will be around. stop at the salmon stop and get the d low. march is usually decent for browns with dead roaches or alewife off the bottom. now salmon..eesh. you;re better off around chicago mid march - mid april for coho that are closer to shore. boaters will do ok off wauk but slim pickens for the shore guys

·
Registered
286 Posts
mplant1 said:
mangostenmaster said:
Hey, how deep are the sides of Government pier? Like what? 3 feet or so?
north end is dredged, ~16 feet deep. south end (east point) hits about 20'

http://pages.ripco.net/~jwn/waukegan.gif
eh? No. I was talking about how far the sides of the standable area are from the top of the water. :). I mean come on! :) I may love fishing, but I won't risk my life for a big silver salmon (i know, I know 1-4 lbs), Is it a common experience for a fisherman to fall into the water in Gov-Pier? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
ohhhh along government pier the walls are between 3 feet to 10 feet from water level. depends where you situate yourself. never heard of anyone falling off. com'n man you're a salmon fisherman you can't let that stuff scare you

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
When I lived on the North side I used to start hitting Johnson Motor Pier for Browns just after ice out. Like it was mentioned, stop by and see Lori and she will hook you up with the right rig and baits. My plans of attack used to be a slider sinker rig (Salmon Shop Special) and alewife and another rod with a slip bobber and crawler. March is mostly browns but come April there is a nice mixed bag of fish out there. Last time I was out there was the first and only time I have ever been spooled :p

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
I learned that having 6 lb braid and a smaller capacity spool does not cut it out there :p The funny thing is that I had been banging some really nice browns on that setup that year. I'm not sure what I hooked, but it just missed taking my rod in the water and it never stopped until it went through the braid and mono backing.

·
Registered
286 Posts
i love fishing said:
wat set up of rod and line is good for the browns
Check my post for last time out since I can remember. I was in Highland Park. I used 10 lb test with a diameter of 7-ish test. I cast it out using a 8 foot long rod, medium action, and after a few casts with a slip bobber over spawn, I got a brown trout or something to bite. Now here's what you HAVE to remember: Bring a net!!! I didn't and the fish got away at the side of the pier. :x That's about it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ey, when does the pier ussually ice off? And if that is around now, would I need cleats or any kind of special wear for this pier? And on an average day in march, what is the chance of catching or atleast hooking a salmonid? As soon as it hits over 40 for a whole weekend day, I am hitting this pier. Is it ussually crowded? And do I need a net for an average sized brown trout or Coho salmon (1-6 lb) on 10 lb test? Thanks.

·
Banned
41 Posts
mplant1 said:
don't listen to rootpro. anyone who thinks play doh is good is an idiot. i'm sorry, but its true.

you wanna chase trout you can start now. some steelhead and browns will be around. stop at the salmon stop and get the d low. march is usually decent for browns with dead roaches or alewife off the bottom. now salmon..eesh. you;re better off around chicago mid march - mid april for coho that are closer to shore. boaters will do ok off wauk but slim pickens for the shore guys
So can you catch some tourt right now? Do you powerline or use some bait? I have used powerline befor with my cous. Caught sum small silver salman but nothing really, really big. It was okay. Never caught a trout.

Kurt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.