Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bored this afternoon and decided to ride my bike to the CCFP lakes to see if they finally did it on time. They are LOADED...fish jumping everywhere. Just happened to have a jar of Powerbait with me :wink: and threw a trout nugget in just to see and it was gone within seconds. Some of them I saw jumping were of pretty good size. Bad news...there already was a bucket head there :x . Would have called DNR if I had their number. I can't wait until it opens Saturday.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With those trout nuggets, I was just throwing them out there and they were floating. The trout were killing them as soon as they hit the water. I don't think I'll even use a bobber this year. I was also thinking of trying an inline spinner. What would be a good size...something like 1/8 oz?

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Small inline spinners, but if they were taking the power bait I wouldn't even bother with the spinners.

·
Registered
341 Posts
How many rods do people usually bring? What kind of rod are you all using? Never fished for trout and just want to be prepared for maximum efficiency.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gither03 said:
How many rods do people usually bring? What kind of rod are you all using? Never fished for trout and just want to be prepared for maximum efficiency.
I've seen guys with like 5 rods each. Opening day is a total madhouse. Last fall, I didn't even try until like 1-2 weeks after...the fish don't suddenly disappear. But yea, I think the rod limit is 2...I only bring 1 because people are casting everywhere possible. Creel limit of 5 fish/day. For rods, I LOVE using UL or L at the heaviest. I'm bringing my new L action St. Croix. I just have to try it out. As far as line, stick with 4-6 lb. mono...4 being the better of the 2. Light rods are the best. You could be fishing with a very light rod, like a bluegill micro lite rod and catch ten times more fish than anyone else. It is a great feeling to see all those bucket heads with heavy action rods, 30 lb. mono, catching nothing...while I'm there with a little 5' UL Ugly Stik constantly catching fish. It's hilarious. It seriously does make that big of a difference.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can't find casting bubbles at the few places I've gone to. Either they're already out (like glow spoons were before the start of salmon season at most places) or they don't carry them. Will a small bobber do the job or will it spook the fish?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RobBull said:
I can't find casting bubbles at the few places I've gone to. Either they're already out (like glow spoons were before the start of salmon season at most places) or they don't carry them. Will a small bobber do the job or will it spook the fish?
Small bobbers will be fine...that's what I use. If you are using a bobber, use something thin like the Thill pencil bobber. You only need to put the bait down maybe 3 feet at the most anyways. The fish will come up and get the bait.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
just know that you'll have some major competition for casting space when using casting bubbles and bobbers. your line WILL get crossed and could lead to frustration. one guy last year was pushed in the lake cause he crossed so many peoples lines.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I'm going to stick to bobber fishing because casting is sure to be a problem with all the fishermen expected. Hopefully we'll do well and be out of there before the big crowds arrive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts