Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is this little lake (more like a pond) in Buffalo Grove just off of Deerfield Parkway across from the Buffalo Grove Fitness Center. It's about 1/2 mile from my house and I see people fishing there every now and then. I never see anyone catching anything, but there has to be fish in there because it's been around for a while. Has anyone fished there or has anyone heard about people catching anything there? Just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
My Buddies response about the lake.

In the mornings I had really good luck with Large Mouth but I've never had anything with much size. This is the place I used to go to before work.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

When I got home last night after work I coudn't control myself and ended up going out to the lake to fish despite it being pretty cold. I didn't expect to catch anything because of the weather change and not knowing about the lake, but I was surprised a little. Using a mini-mite I caught a small crappie and a warmouth. After about a half hour I switched to a larger spinner and got 4 hits from largemouth. I didn't technically catch any of them, but I got two to shore before they shook the hook and briefly saw another one when it came to the surface before it too shook the hook. It's either the hooks being crap or my hook setting technique sucking, but I couldn't make the hooks stick. Of the 3 largemouth I saw, the 2 I got to shore were in the 11"-12" range and the other one which I saw from a short distance was quite a bit larger. I guesstimate it was about 14"-15". I definitely now have some reasons to go back and continue fishing this lake. Hopefully one day I can actually catch one and get some pictures up on here. I will probably move the thread to the "Other Waters" forum though as that one is more appropriate for this.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Here's a quick tip,

Once you have a fish on make sure that you keep the tip of the rod in the air and that you are relaxed. On fishing shows some guys reel in the fish as fast as possible which is really not necessary. Reel in fast enough to keep the rod bent. If the rod goes straight make sure to reel slightly faster to keep the fish hooked.

Fish usually get unhooked when the fishing line becomes untaught (this usually occurs when the fish jumps, shakes or swims towards you faster than you are reeling). Just make sure that the line is always taught and that you keep constant pressure between the rod and the fish.

Good luck out there man!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the spinner was brand new so I assume the hooks are pretty sharp. I also kept constant pressure and the rod bend was significant, but it almost seemed like the hooks never really set into the fish or it was trying to set in a harder area of the mouth and didn't get enough penetration. It was quite frustrating. It is possible for the hooks to be razor sharp and still not catch in the right way in the fish even following all of the proper procedures? I haven't fished in about 10 years, but I don't remember this happening when I was fishing on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Are you using an ultralight rod? I had that problem with larger bass. I think it was that the light rod would give too easy and not keep enough pressure to set the hook in, or even keep things tight enough to get one ashore without the hook being past the barb.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was using a medium action rod with a brand new baitcasting reel. I did notice though that the drag was a little light because I had one of the fish on for a few seconds and the line was coming off the reel pretty quick and I know it wasn't a huge fish. I wonder if that could have affected how good the hook set was. I am going to have to go back and try the same thing again to see if it keeps happening. Maybe my reflexes aren't quite there yet either. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
401 Posts
thats your problem right there. the drag being too loose is giving line during the hookset and not keeping it tight enough so when you set your hook the hook barely goes in before the line pulls off the reel. set the drag tighter!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.