Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Gulp! Alive!

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  twoglasseyes 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried the new "Gulp! Alive!" baits? (yes, there are two exclamation points in the name)

I saw them at Dick's and they come in these little buckets for 20 bucks. Evidently they are Berkley Gulp minnows or shrimp that sit in these buckets of high potent attractant. They can be "re-used" and will rehydrate when placed back in the bucket of juice.

Sounds like a fine idea to me. I just wonder about the re-usability factor. All plastic baits get chewed up by fish, timber, rocks, etc., and the hooks themselves. I seriously wonder how often they can actually be re-used. And for 20 bucks, seems a little pricey.

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Jason , funny you bring it up. When i was at baitshop yesterday i asked owner if they work he said that 1 guys says they work fantastic, and another says they dont work. i WILL personally try next year at 19.99 cant afford to spend anymore on novelty fishing stuff thisyear.

#3 ·
I got Yami a bucket for his baby shower present last weekend. Strange seeing a bucket of bait amongst the baby clothes :D Someone actually tried to put them in the fridge to keep them "fresh" :p . Yami went out to a local pond the other day and in short order caught a 16'' largemouth, a bg gill, and rock bass, all on the same bait, so yes they are somewhat durable. At the end of the day, they are probably not much different then your standard senkos, dingers, or any other plastic imitation. They just have better scent :wink: I am with Coyote and may wait until next Spring to give them a try. I would like to sight fish them and see how the fish react.

#4 ·
Damm you MATT, now that you had to say Yammi did well with them im going to baitshop now tp pick up some fatheads and now will be relly tempted to give them a try .......... maybe i can sneak this one on the credit card without the Ms Coyote finding out...lol.

#5 ·
Yea this stuff is supposed to be the bomb, but beware i've been hearing on The Next Bite (Gary Parsons Pete Mania and Keith Kavajecz's website) that the buckets are the weak link for this product. People have been complaining that the buckets leak after being opened. Ziploc bags and tupperware have been the most used solutions to this problem. I'm currently looking for a small screw top tupperware bowl for the leeches i bought but haven't opened yet

#7 ·
they're not to bad i used my friends, they seem like they hold up pretty well. I ended up catching a 15" lm and then some smaller lmb also. if your not wanting the put out all the money look for me at the dam ill split the price with ya.

#11 ·
Well gave them a try today, fished how i normally do this time of year with a bobber and a plain hook. Caught 8 bass with fatheads and 4 with gulp will say i missed at least 3-4 fish with gulp , definitly works and holds up dint lose one piece. Caught all other species walleye catfish and crappies on fatheads, was a little disapponted didnt get a pike or walleye on gulp. . Still dont know will have to use a few more times to get a real idea.Best bass of day caught on fathead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.