Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my plans for this weekend is on Friday morning to get to Burnham early and fish for perch and smallmouth.

I was actually thinking of buying a pint of Gulp alive and using it for perch

I would be using minnows of course.

Is this a good idea

How do u feel about gulp alive

Also going to deep lake on saturday

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have used it a few times with mixed results. I have caught largemouth, crappie and bullhead on it. I bought it mainly to catch walleye so the jury is still out on it. Hopefully I will get some chances in the late Fall to test it out on the Fox Chain. I did well with real minnows last year on a jig so I am hoping that these will work too. I like them, but don't expect miracles.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I bought some after seeing Clancy catch a largemouth at Deep last month on them. I was going to try them at Delavan last week but never got around to it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I use the Gulp minnow & worms.
Dynomite for bass & crappie.

For perch I've had so-so results.

Mid bite i switched to a 2.5" minnow and nada..
Switched back to real minnow and I got bites.

Its all location specific.

Gulp 3-inch smelt on a drop shot works for amost any species, except perch... :wink:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Most reports seem to say it's fantastic stuff.

I've got a friend who swears by the leeches for smallies and walleye.

Just remember NOT to leave it on your hook when you're done fishing because once it dries out you'll be chiseling it off=)

·
Super Moderator
6,232 Posts
Alive and Gulp both work great and I agree, they catch fish. Its nice not having to go to the bait shop sometimes. You have to be careful with the alive stuff though. I have had 2 guys have it in the boat, and I have had 2 bucket spills this year because the lid was on crooked. Not cool when the alive is 30 bucks a pop :shock:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.