Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, got out to my back yard a few times this weekend.

Friday....Went in search of the bass...threw everything at em'..crank baits, spinner baits, soft plastics-texas rigging this..wacky rigging that...nothing. NO bass to show for it. probably 3 hours of pitching at least without a hit. got some rock bass, white perch to avoid the skunk on some small white twisters... but yeah..whatever.

Sunday....got out to dead stick for some catfish (after seeing some earlier reports -- got the jones for some catfishing--yet to try this year) all while throwing some bass lures. well, had no luck on the bass lures again :( :( :( so threw some of my crawlers attached to a jighead and caught about 30 white perch-few rock bass-one bluegill-and several darned gobies. The more eventful catches went as follows:

I was caught on a rock or something and trying to get my line clear of it. i had given up and was resolved to just break the line and re-tie up. As I'm doing so..i break free from the snag and immediately afterwards something hammers the line. Hoping for a bass on a reaction strike or something it ends up being a 7 lb carp. Fish pulled like hell but was still a disappointment. anyway, later on in the day I did manage to get a catfish off a big wad of 2 or 3 nightcrawlers buched together. nice looking cat. and my first of the year. all said and done i had no bass in two days of work but at least a couple of bigger guys off the deadstick.

B

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
I get being disapointed when you are targeting one species, but I would encourage you chase after those carp some more. You will be hard pressed to match the fight that carp give you anywhere around Chicago.

Thanks for the river posts, not a lot of people post on it, I fish the south branch for carp and really have to advocate for it (especially after seeing a couple pics of Paul Prezella's 38lber).

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I enjoy fishing for carp. just wasn't targeting them that day. I've caught a lot of them on the northshore channel and yeah they pull like a freight trains. just have wanted to branch out to some others species for awhile. probably spend more time carpin' late fall/winter.

B

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.