Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody from here planning on going?

Since most of my rods and reels were jacked in the fall, I gotta do it ALLLLLLL over again and drop down another $500 for worthless fishing gear.
Not nice, but looking forward to it. I suck at Musky fishing and am cursed when it comes to setting hooks into them, but I enjoy the style of fishing.

Although it caters to the Musky angler, it's one of the best put-together shows out there and it's well-managed and worth a trip. You can see, learn, and buy lots! You'll even get to talk with Bucher and Saric too!

I'll be there all day Friday.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
You want to battle the TRUE champion of freshwater fish in IL??? Go for chinook !!!

I'm messing with ya andrew. I've never fished for muskie, but maybe I'll try one day.... and no, i'm not going to the show. When is your ice fishing rodeo? I should be able to attend that one

Mike

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was at show all afternoon/evening. Major disappointment but could have been worse.

Not the biggest crowd for day-1 as compared to previous years as weather probably turned away most.

Way fewer vendors and booths and people unlike the past... Blame the economy for this one as probably nobody wants to travel. Very few sales/bargains/etc as well.

Got $20 off a Shimano Compre rod ($120 reg = $100) and picked up a few Savage-Gear jerkbaits to aid in my quest of the first 40" Pike. Also needed two reels to replace the ones I had jacked but nobody had my goods in stock (Okuma Indurons).

Was looking forward to spending $400 as that was the designated amount... Walked out of the show with $250 left in the wallet.

Still a well put-together show. Talked to lots of guides whom I know from N. WI and even got to chat with Dale MacNair who caught monster unofficial world record from the St. Larrys. Super nice guy too. Gave me grief because I wore my Hawks hat and he's an Ottawa Sens fan. :lol:

If anyone plans on going at some point this weekend, the seminars scheduled for both tomorrow and Sunday will surely make up for the lack of good buys.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Man was it crowded today. Despite the heavy snowfall taking place outside it was way more crowded than the Saturday last year. You couldn't tell the economy was bad based on the amount of gear being sold. It was a great show and the pool demonstration by Mike Hulbert was excellent. Really showed how certain baits should be worked to catch more fish. It was a good time and worth the 3 hours I spent there. :D

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
On a side note Andrew:

Love those Shimano Compre rods...I have nothing bad to say about them except for the warranty issue. Lost an eyelet insert on the end of one of my rods and I have to mail the whole rod in order to get the eyelet replaced. I asked the guy thru the website just to mail me the eyelet insert, like St. Croix does and they said that this would invalidate the warranty. He suggested breaking the rod in several pieces in order to shorten the container necessary....for an eyelet insert???? I don't have the heart to break it in half so I'll probably mail the whole thing in and pay the difference.

He told me they don't carry parts. I suggested that they could break the end off a rod there and mail it to me. :lol: . I don't think he liked that too much but the policy needs some review. I suppose they are just going to send me a whole new rod, just for a stinkin' eyelet. Don't make sense.

Other then that I love those compres!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.