Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was told from a very reliable source that deals with Rapala, Pradco, etc that there prices on Crankbaits are going up considerably next year. Don't know about stuff line line,rods,etc but most if not all artificials from people like Rapala, Pradco, are going up next year. Might think about stocking up a bit as i was told it is going to be a steep increase.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doc, i felt the same way. Seems like everyone is jumping on the bandwagon to increase prices these days. Forgot to mention in my Michigan post, We have been doing LBDN every year since 1992 and i have NEVER seen it so Depressed in Escanaba,Mi. Stores are closing. Many stores are only open just a few hours a day. Spoke with locals up there and it was sad to hear how bad it is in smallish towns like that. There food prices at stores are more than here. Some claim the town sold its soul to Walmart and thats what did in many mom and pop stores up there that was the backbone of that town. Hell there werent many fisherman up there as well. NEVER have i seen it so quiet up there. Very sad situation. We did everything we could to spend money up there in all the small stores.

·
Registered
400 Posts
washhusky101 said:
Some claim the town sold its soul to Walmart and thats what did in many mom and pop stores up there that was the backbone of that town. Hell there werent many fisherman up there as well. NEVER have i seen it so quiet up there. Very sad situation. We did everything we could to spend money up there in all the small stores.
There is a great documentary, "Wall Mart - The High Price of Low Cost" You have to watch it with an open mind, but it has some very interesting view points.

·
Registered
308 Posts
In North Carolina people are still paying $30 per crankbait! Lucky Craft is becoming the industry norm. Ever since they came out with the original $10 crankbait and $15 jerkbait everyone else has been creeping up their prices. Fishing is becoming a white collar sport and less a blue collar sport. We have to stop feeding the industry giants like Pure Fishing and Strike King and so on. Keep the smaller competition in the game and the prices will stay competitive. Once the giants kill the smaller companies we will be paying more than $30 per crankbait.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
For a finely detailed, intricately crafted crank with superior components as well as performance from companies like Evergreen International, Jackall, River2Sea, Megabass etc...I could justify $15 to $30 purchase price.

And sometimes do.

For mass produced crap where 8 out of 10 baits need tuning right out of the box just to run true...Rapala, Pradco etc...it ain't gonna happen.

Lucky Craft falls into the latter category IMHO.

There are far far too many other options that will catch fish just as readily.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I am not a big hardbait user. But hype costs money.

As for Walmart, it is about people hours. If you stay open only during the times the working class is working, who is buying? In the old days Mom would be shopping but now she is working.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Darth Wader said:
Any angler with common sense will just stop buying them :?
They can set prices at $50 per crankbait but that doesn't people will buy them.

I'm not worried about this at all. So lure companies are going to INCREASE prices with the economy in the crapper and with people's disposable income being less and less scarce? Great business wisdom. In tough times, one of the first places people cut their spending is hobbies. We need to eat, put gas in our car, heat our homes, get medicine, ect. ect. ect. We don't need to buy a couple new Citrus Fat Free Shads for the 2009 fishing season.

I think the reason that there are $30 crankbaits is because people buy them. When the demand for those high-priced crankbaits go down, they'll get replaced by something that the masses can purchase. Good fishing.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
red_mucilin said:
As for Walmart, it is about people hours. If you stay open only during the times the working class is working, who is buying? In the old days Mom would be shopping but now she is working.
That is only a small part of it. The real reason that Walmart drives Mom & Pop stores out of business is their ability to basically tell manufacturers what they will pay for products so they end up buying them much cheaper than other stores can. It goes way beyond buying things in bigger quantities. They are the biggest retailer but I have read of the tactics that they use with manufacturers to keep their products on Walmart's shelves.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
washusky - I recognized the dam in your picture. I go to the UP every summer. That was a very awesome report...

Escanaba this year, and recent years, has been a very sad situation. I ALWAYS spend my money in the mom and pop stores.

Granted, our economy is struggling right now, and people are looking to spend as least money as they can...but wal-mart is TERRIBLE for american family living and the strength of our us dollar.

I have seen the Wal-Mart movie Karen speaks of. I've known the effects of Wal-Mart way before the movie. The movie highlights how americans sell their souls to wal-mart.

Without going into too much discussion, wal-mart has a negative effect on america
1. it runs mom and pop shops down the drain
2. it controls market prices from manufacturing companies
3. it offers garbage benefits to its employees (their employees were told to go on medicaid by wal-mart management!)
4. it outsources production from cheap labor (china)

Like i said, i'm not going into too much detail. Educate yourself people. I NEVER will shop at wal-mart.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I shop at Walmart. I am looking forward to the day when the U.S. of A. is nothing but a large call center for China. We can lease out our military like Blackwater.

I ordered the Rosetta Stone programs to learn how to speak Chinese. It is now the only language permitted in my household outside of this site.

I am a forward thinker no reason to fight the inevitable.

保重, (take care) for you people unable to grasp the future.

The Notorious P.O.T.

·
Registered
174 Posts
washhusky101 said:
Doc, i felt the same way. Seems like everyone is jumping on the bandwagon to increase prices these days. Forgot to mention in my Michigan post, We have been doing LBDN every year since 1992 and i have NEVER seen it so Depressed in Escanaba,Mi. Stores are closing. Many stores are only open just a few hours a day. Spoke with locals up there and it was sad to hear how bad it is in smallish towns like that. There food prices at stores are more than here. Some claim the town sold its soul to Walmart and thats what did in many mom and pop stores up there that was the backbone of that town. Hell there werent many fisherman up there as well. NEVER have i seen it so quiet up there. Very sad situation. We did everything we could to spend money up there in all the small stores.
Wash, we have a summer home in the UP and my parents are there for roughly 80% of the summer. In May they had an article in the local papers of Stevenson regarding the high prices of gas and diesel in the Stevenson, Carney, and Powers areas. The article was stating that the local gas stations were ripping off locals with the high gas and diesel prices. Locals began traveling 30 miles south down to Menominee and Marinette with containers to fill up as it was not worth it to pay an additional $.60 a gallon for diesel. These are the same gas stations in both areas just different owners. So I will have to disagree that the large corporations are solely responsible for these hardships as greed is encoded in human nature and people will take advantage of others despite the magnitude of the situation. I am not saying that large corporations do not contribute to this problem but this is only an example of a "MOM & POP" that everyone is talking about supporting.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
IXmarksthespot said:
So I will have to disagree that the large corporations are solely responsible for these hardships as greed is encoded in human nature and people will take advantage of others despite the magnitude of the situation. I am not saying that large corporations do not contribute to this problem but this is only an example of a "MOM & POP" that everyone is talking about supporting.
I wouldn't say Wal-Mart is soley responsible to the demise of smaller shops and small business. However, I will say they are a HUGE contributor to their demise.

-Mike
PRO UNION
OBAMA '08

·
Registered
20 Posts
If anyone needs some help, pm me....I am the one to consider in negotiating your pay and ease your transition into the exciting and wonderful career of answering the phone.

再见 (Goodbye)

Why would anyone considering buying a rapala when they could fish with spawn?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
perchonthis said:
If anyone needs some help, pm me....I am the one to consider in negotiating your pay and ease your transition into the exciting and wonderful career of answering the phone.

再见 (Goodbye)

Ah, is that what you do? I thought you were a rapper who freestyled on the street corner...looks like you know how to use babel fish. I do to...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
perchonthis said:

再见 (Goodbye)

Why would anyone buy a Rapala??? LOL Because they work! Well I'm not a big fan of Rapalas, But the old Discontinued "Rattlin Fat-Raps" Kick ass!!! "Good Luck finding them anymore" Plus some people may not have spawn. Sorry if we don't like to sit there and watch a Float all day long! Covering more water produces more fish Bud! You minus well knock it off, you always lose pissonthis! :lol:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.