Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that really target the Fox River I wondered if you've ever seen the beloved helgrammite anywhere on the river. I know this is the season to harvest them on the Kank and if you know what you are doing they can be found in numbers and used as one of THE best baits on the Kank. I've never seen them on the Fox but I know a few fishermen that use the artificials frequently on the Fox.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I have seen a few. Most times I was turning over rocks near the Montgomery Dam looking for crayfish. I also caught a few turning rocks at North Aurora dam, but that was when there was an island of rocks out in the center of the river below the dam.

They always seemed to work just as good as softshells or the tail meat of a hard shell.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
All these years of exploring the Fox and it's creeks and I've never seen them.
I know the fish eat the plastic ones if you toss them in.

Hell, I hardly ever see crayfish in the Fox, where on the Kank you have to quit looking down as you walk so the guilt of stepping on all those crays doesn't get to you.

Did see an amazing hex hatch at the mouth of Big Rock once, and only once. Otherwise the hatches haven't been so impressive.

But then, I've caught lots and lots of Rock bass out of Big and Little Rock creeks, but never out of the Fox.

Must not like the water.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I never new what "Helgies" where before i google imaged them... Those creepy little buggers always terrify me when i'm going for crayfish either below the geneva dam or more likely in leroy oaks forest preserve...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
RonG said:
You can thank the invasion of drum for that...
There aren't enough fish in the river in general to have that kind of impact.

It's strictly a water quality issue.

Why do you think you never see rock bass in the Fox?
I've caught them as close as 150 yards from the mouth of Rock Creek in the creek.
Not one from Yorkville down.

Rockies eat crays and the Kank is loaded with them.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ken is right on when it comes to crayfish on the Kank. When the water clarity is there you can walk out and literally see the crayfish scattering in your path it's amazing. I wonder since the helgies seem to desire the area underneath the larger rocks on the Kank that this may have something to do with it besides the quality of water. Although I believe it ultimately does have to do with water quality I've noticed that perhaps the size rocks that inhabit the Fox aren't as large as alot of those that line the Kank. Maybe there isn't enough habitat as well.

I know that Case makes artificial helgies and you would in the past be able to pick them up at Batavia Tackle. Unfortunately I was over in that area this past weekend and that store is closed for business. Sucks.
You probably could find them at Angelo's in Wilmington or maybe BPS?? I'm not sure. Of course if you go online and do a search and find them here:

http://www.caseplastics.com/Products/Hellgrammite.htm

I've bought a few back in the day but never fished them with confidence. I know others do pretty well with the whole helgie or even by just busting off the tail and fishing them on a light jig. I'd rather stick to my jig and twister....I feel it has more action in the lure and better results.

If they were more accessible I'd probably use softshell crayfish above all. Unfortunately I'm not ready to drop 6 bucks on half dozen. I've gone out and seined them before but it can be tough to gather a fair number since they molt in a short period of time. I bet if I seined on the Kank I'd have more luck since the crayfish are so prolific down there. Smallies love those softshell for sure. Same with the channel cats.
Now where did I put that sein.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
thxs jb ill check bps or get online ive caught some real nice bass on plastic helgie just couldnt find any up here just came back from phoenix and down there they sell them at walmart . not here i checked thx again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.