Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been to Burnham Harbor for times this year hoping to catch some salmon or trout. But The four times I went there I havent seen anything. I went out there today at about 7AM. I went to a bait shop and got some spoons. I was out there for about 3 hrs and i didnt even get a bite. People there are telling me they catch them at Burnham Harbor. I fish at Northerly Island right accross from soldier feild. When I was there today I actually saw a fish. They were carp though under the boats. So could someone please tell me why im not catching anything. Ive tried alot and I plan on goin back out to Northerly Island on Sunday with my spoon. What do I have to do to catch a salmon :cry: :cry: :x

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't get discouraged. I have been out(waukegan) several times this past week, with nothing to show for it as well. Try throwing different lures/spoons until you get one. Try some rat-l-traps, j-13's, and dt-6 as well as the usual spoons.

All I can tell you is, keep trying. Your persistance will pay off, and when it does it will be well worth it...JBasser

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
The big thing with the salmon run in the fall is that it can get BORING. All you do is cast and cast and cast like a robot and HOPE a salmon sees your spoon and is interested.

The reward can be awesome, but as far as the hunt, again it can be boring and frustrating.

What you can do is try some different spoons and colors. KO Wobblers, Krocodiles, Lil Cleo's, etc. Also give it a shot at night with glow-in-the-dark spoons.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Shoreline salmon fishing is boring! I logged about 20 hours of endless casting and only had two fish to show for it up in Northern Wisconsin a few years back. However, one of the fish was a 34 lb salmon that took me for a ride up and down the shore for about 45 minutes. So, the reward can be great. Just be prepared for long periods of nothingness.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Bassmaster said:
Shoreline salmon fishing is boring! I logged about 20 hours of endless casting and only had two fish to show for it up in Northern Wisconsin a few years back. However, one of the fish was a 34 lb salmon that took me for a ride up and down the shore for about 45 minutes. So, the reward can be great. Just be prepared for long periods of nothingness.
That pretty much explaines it. Cast Cast Cast Cast

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HOW THE HECK DO YOUR FISH FOR PERCH ON LAKE MICHIGAN. WHERE. WHAT TIME OF DAY, AND WHAT KIND OF RIG. ARE THEY BIG PERCH OR THEY KIND YOU USUALLY CATCH AT A SMALL POND WHEN THE PERCH ARE LIKE 4 INCHES

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
There are plenty of jumbo perch in LM. Send a PM to Phil since he perch fishes a lot at LM. I believe that they are caught with minnows on crappie rigs.

·
Registered
401 Posts
small rat-l-traps and crankbaits, as well as crappie rigs with fathead minnows will get you some nice jumbos on LM usually. It depends on the time of year, you need to catch the perch when they come into the harbors. This is when it's easiest, and you'll be guaranteed at least 10 or 12 keepers to bring home for a nice dinner.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hey Pez, what are the size limits for perch? Also, do you know of any limit on how many that you can eat, given Lake pollution levels? I think that they post it in the Illinois Fishing Guide, but I was wondering if you knew off the top of your head?

Just don't want to see you guys glowing in the dark after eating fish out of Lake Michigan. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.