Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am new here and have only a limited amount of knowledge when it comes to fishing. However, I know a little, so lately i have been taking my girlfriend fishing hoping to get her into it. Unfortunately it's not going so well.

We've tried Blackwell, I got a ton of bluegills, a pike, and a few bass and she got nothing. We've been to Busse, one bluegill. We've been going to the fox river lately and this is where we will continue to go since its so close. I've caught one carp there on a shad rap through pure luck and its' tail.

All to no avail, we have tried jigs, worms, lures, minnows, spinners, stink bait, and everything else under the sun just so she can get a fish and not lose interest in one of the only things that can relax me anymore.

Basically, my question is: What is the best way I can get some action and get her into fishing on the Fox River before its too late?!!

·
Registered
953 Posts
If I was going to fish the Fox River I would focus on areas below dams right now using a jig and minnow on 6# or 8# test line. You may have already tried this, but that's just my two cents. Unfortunately, fishing can be a crap shoot so never know how they are going to bite.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Ya, we've tried the areas below the N. Aurora dam, the Geneva Dam, and the St. charles dam. Unfortunately we keep getting snagged under the rocks and it gets pretty frustrating rigging a new line every five minutes. Due to the extremely low level of water?

Any advice for the snag problem we've been having?

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Getting her into fishing isn't Difficult, Getting the "other" gender isn't as easy to get into fishing but Is Possible. I originally Made My girlfriend A fishing addict as well as a lot of younger kids in my neighborhood and passerby s I focused her on pan fish, If I caught one i let her reel it in When she displayed it I showed complete enthusiasm and was excited for her, She caught small fish i was excited for her Originally she wanted to go back because she loved all the affection she got after catching a small fish But That changes as she grows to appreciate the sport. I then started her on carp Were she wasn't as enthused but i wanted to teach her a valuable lesson in Fishing And that is patience and persistence payed off. I didn't show her a picture of a carp, I Didn't explain How big they could get or how big they are on average on the body of water we were fishing. I just told her to be patient and it will pay off of coarse i kept it entertaining while we sat around for the 5 minute wait And i set the hook, but I helped her reel it in, Told her that she did all the work and it was her fish. Showed as much enthusiasm as i did for the bluegill. Also in doing so with all the outings I'd let her get a taste then we'll take off leaving her wanting more I let her catch enough but not as much as she could if we stay the day. this is just getting her started afterwards you can drag her to harder bodies of water to catch fish and she'll wait and be patient. the biggest mistake 90 % of people teaching new people how to fish make is the reaction you give them. It may be a little fish to you but you have to keep in mind this is there first fish and the reaction you give them can make or break it think Back of your first fish. it can be the difference between yea i went fishing once I caught a lot of bluegill that was fun , or I went fishing once i caught the most fish and he was jealous I beat him i can't wait to go again.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Very well put! Luckily, my better half likes fishing as much as I do. Even if it's only for bluegills. Whenever we go fishing, all she needs is a small hook, her bobber, and some worms and she's having a good old time.

Just make it fun and exciting. Hit up a local pond and bring small hooks, a bobber, and some earthworms. It should be damn near impossible to NOT catch at least a bluegill. Show a ton of enthusiasm, even for the bluegills. Hopefully, she'll progress and go from there.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
As the others have said, good luck with that. My wife has never fished a day in her life, but she will occasionally accompany me when I go fishing by bringing a book along to read.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
toothdoc said:
As the others have said, good luck with that. My wife has never fished a day in her life, but she will occasionally accompany me when I go fishing by bring a book along to read.
Well actually I have already gotten her to like fishing however it is all of the snags, and not catching of fish at the Fox which is leaving her feeling disinterested for the next time we go.

So, I guess I'll just go back to worms and see what happens this weekend down at the N. Aurora Dam.

Everyone, thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
you actually fish when you take your girlfriends into the woods?! :shock:

take her to the trout opener near you this coming sat. read through axehead lake's trout posts. good info there and tons of fish to be caught!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.