1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Thanks! Only my second time out there. Have a couple buds that know the river pretty well and have taken me out. Amazing natural resource. Still can believe what Indiana did to this gem on their side of the border.
I used to fish it all the time, but it's been at least a year since I waded the Kank. Love that river. And yep, those dumb fucks are destroying it this side of the line too. It's so damn silted up/sandy, and just keeps getting worse...

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Still can believe what Indiana did to this gem on their side of the border.
Yes - sad. The Great Kankakee Marsh was called 'The Everglades of the North". Funny how people think they're "improving" things when what they are really doing is f'ing them up.

Reactions: BarçaBoy10

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Oops - should be "Grand Kankakee Marsh"

·
Registered
484 Posts
That river and its creeks really give up the smallmouth in the fall. I love it there- can't say the same for the Indiana side though. Ugly. I had no idea that was a man made mess.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I remember seeing a documentary on the Kankakee and how things were so drastically "altered" in Indiana. Supposedly, so called developers were met at the Illinois border by armed men, to prevent them from channelizing the river here, as well.

Nice smallie, by the way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got out again today, river was up maybe 6”, flow was up and although it was manageable, after fighting it for 6 hours my back is tighter than a…..well it’s tight.
Water Fisherman Lake Casting (fishing) Mammal

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
mighty purty fish.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Forgot to add what’s working, and what isn’t.

Not working: topwater. Should improve as the fall transition happens.

Working: small swim baits, helgies.

Fish were all over the main river in current, areas with slightly deeper water and numerous bigger rocks held numbers. Nothing shallow, nothing in deeper slow pools.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts