Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught my first few catfish for 2022. Nothing big but I welcomed them into my Hobie.

I caught 2 on chicken, one on cut white perch and one on my ultralight bait rod while I was jigging for bait. I was drifting with 2 rods, one was setup with a Santee rig dragged on the bottom and suspended baits on the other. The dragging rod got hooks today. Had some action on the suspended bait but the fish wouldn’t commit.

C’mon WCF lets get some posts with fish on this almost dead site. I’m expecting some ice fishing post.

~JOE~
Sky Fish Fin Recreational fishing Fisherman
Cloud Sky Water Fisherman Fin
Sky Fin Gesture Fish Shark
Sky Fin Fisherman Fish Outdoor recreation

·
Registered
378 Posts
Nice looking cat's we're you fishing looks warmer than the single didgets we have

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Nice Joe. We are dreaded in between season. Everything froze recently but 2 to 4 inches of ice only but growing fast.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have 2. A Revolution 13 and a Revolution 11. I use the 11 now. I bought the shorter one after I bought my cargo van. The short one fits all the way in and I can close the back doors. It basically is in my van 24/7.

The Revolution is narrower than both the Outback and the Pro Angler so space is at a premium but it is also faster and plenty stable. I have it rigged up to carry 4 rods, electronics, tackle bag, some Plano boxes, camera, lunch box and misc. tools,soap,sunscreen,etc.

Here she is rigged out and nestled in at home.

~JOE~
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Watercraft

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Water Boat Watercraft Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
480 Posts
That’s a really nice setup. I have been considering a hobie and will get one eventually. I liked the specs on compass the most, but it looks like I should also be looking at revo 11. I don’t like the bulkiness of the other boats they offer.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s a really nice setup. I have been considering a hobie and will get one eventually. I liked the specs on compass the most, but it looks like I should also be looking at revo 11. I don’t like the bulkiness of the other boats they offer.
Come on down, buy my 13 and spend a few days fishing in the warmth. I’ll put you on some cats.

~JOE~

·
Registered
874 Posts
Joe,
Now that is living the good life floating on that Cadillac and pulling cats.
As Matt said it is cold here but at least the wind died down for the moment but just for the moment based on the weather reports if you can believe them.

New Years cleaning,
Cleaned out the fridge and found a tub of worms from last summer. I cringed just thinking about the stink when pulling the cover off but they were happy still and ready to go for service. Also located 2 buckets of "Sure Shot" Catfish bait provided by a comrade from work who swore by this stuff. Working up the courage to pull the lid yet on this one. Ever used anything similar with good results?
Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Tread
Fluid Font Paint Cylinder Material property

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have not used any prepared baits other than Gulp shrimp or minnows. The cats at Lake Opeka loved the shrimp.

~JOE~

·
Registered
874 Posts
You're catching some beauties. I hear they have some big cats caught around Waukegan harbor and may target them here in the future and shrimp sounds like a winner. Thanks

·
Registered
732 Posts
Nice cats, I dig that van set up too. Very cold up here, as said, I need to wait until it's above freezing to get out again.

Vman, that tub of catfish bait is giving me smell flashbacks. My buddy uses the stuff that looks like peanut butter and comes in the appropriate jar for cats. Stuff smells awful, does work though. You should target cats out of the harbors, I bet they're massive. I can't recall seeing any ever posted from the big lake. Watched a guy catch a massive carp at Montrose before and I asked him if he wanted me to net it. He goes "oh, it's all small one". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
378 Posts
I once caught a 26# carp on 6# mono in the Waukegan harbor fishing for trout oh was that fun 45 minute fight

·
Registered
874 Posts
Stuff smells awful, does work though. You should target cats out of the harbors, I bet they're massive.
As I recall it smelled pretty bad when I got it and it has been sitting for a few years so I need to open it up outside :poop:. I did see a man pick up a nice size cat off the south rocks outside the harbor using a powerline. I should have bought Joe's set-up before he made the move.

Lucky,
I have seen some huge carp swimming in the harbor while salmon fishing and imagine that would be a good time horsing one around.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I wish salmon fishing there was like it was 30 years ago when you would catch 2 nice kings on a slow day I do plan to target big flathead this year one of my goals is a 30# plus but going to manly fish the foxriver f

·
Registered
378 Posts
I wish salmon fishing there was like it was 30 years ago when you would catch 2 nice kings on a slow day I do plan to target big flathead this year one of my goals is a 30# plus but manly going to fish in the foxriver

1 - 18 of 18 Posts