Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Ask about it at your school, Be aggressive, ask the teachers Even the principle. This would be something you would NOT Regret joining. I really do hope you join, Do it for me :mrgreen: wish they had it when i was there :(

goodluck

- Geo

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
825 Posts
HS,
Check with your athletic office. I checked with two schools in my district who were listed on the IHSA site but neither one actually had a team. Have you looked at the sectional sites? Looks great. Tampier, Shabbona, Heidicke, and Busse are all being fished. I just wonder what they are doing with size limits and HP restrictions on certain lakes. I wish I taught at a school were this could be successful. Good fishing.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm really excited about this and I will ask around about it. I also saw that my school is going to be fishing the Chain- probably the best lake for the northern division of the schools. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
341 Posts
George W said:
Ask about it at your school, Be aggressive, ask the teachers Even the principle. This would be something you would NOT Regret joining. I really do hope you join, Do it for me :mrgreen: wish they had it when i was there :(

goodluck

- Geo

:mrgreen:
I wish that was arround back in the 90's, I would have joined in a heart beat!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fishinnut28 said:
my school just dropped the program
Unfortunately, I have the feeling that my school's gonna do the same thing. It would suck if they do.

BTW- if the school has signed up to participate in the bass fishing program, then aren't they obligated to form a team?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I asked my son about this last week, and he said he's asked around, but none of the teachers seem to know much of anything about this.

So I called his school, and they aren't sure if they will have anyone to coach the team, and no one seems to sure if they even have enough interest from the students. So sounds like to me, it's a communication problem between school and students.

I told my son to go talk to the athletic director on Monday, and tell them there are students wanting to participate. I know he wants to, and a couple of his friends too.

But, given the situation of the economy, there's probably more than a few schools that will opt out of the program, at least for now perhaps. They will divert funding to other activities/sports they deem more popular. I don't believe they are obligated to form or enter a team even if they signed up for the program though.

I think I'll head out to the lake by me on the day of the sectionals, just to watch and see how any of them do.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
As for my school, im pissed. There are plenty of problems Ive realized already and there are no explanations. I go to MAINE WEST in des plaines. Our schedueled sectionals spot is Skokie Lagoons. First, I was aggravated that our sectionals isn't at Busse Woods. We are less than 5miles away from Busse Woods, but instead school like Downers grove (good half hour away) got the sectionals spot there. Then I realized in the rules and regulations each school is allowed 2 boats. Second, Skokie Lagoons is a horrible location for 20-24 bass boats to fit. I think there are around 3-4 dams that dont allow boats to travel between dams and 24 bass boats cannot fit into 1 dam legitamitly. Note that each sectional has 12 teams, thats where i got 20-24 boats from.

Other Problems:
1. Places like Skokie Lagoons and Busse don't allow motor boats, let alone bass boats with huge 100hp plus outboards on them...
2. Sure the city and lake can make an excpetion for us, BUT that doesn't include prefishing the whole 2 weeks I wish i could be doing.

IHSA is extremely unorganized so far regarding to this bass tournament. We will see how it unfolds...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Locally schools are fishing Tampier.
No gas motors allowed-even on the boat.

On one note its troll motor only.
that eliminates any speed/boat influence.

Cast & fish.

Good luck this year!

:D

·
Registered
825 Posts
Hey Rob,

Do you know if they are going to lift the motor ban on the boats at Tampier? If not, the choice of Tampier is a horrible choice. What is the point in trying to get a bass tournament if you are not going to allow bass boats at the locations?

I am wondering if the IHSA bit off more than they can chew with this. It doesn't seem like they received any consultation from people who know anything about bass fishing. And then there is the whole topic of Carlye as the championship lake.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
1. Places like Skokie Lagoons and Busse don't allow motor boats, let alone bass boats with huge 100hp plus outboards on them...
2. Sure the city and lake can make an excpetion for us, BUT that doesn't include prefishing the whole 2 weeks I wish i could be doing.
Are you saying they have already made an exception to allow boats with outboard motors on them in the lagoons for a one time thing?

·
Registered
593 Posts
I would say Cook County will not lift the motor ban.

If we can't even have an outboard raised,
then I can't see them allowing outboard driven boats.

IHSA Regs say regardless..
Boat max speed is 25mph, regardless of lake or conditions.

Tampier is centrally located.
great for bass....maybe not so, but then like mentioned above
name a 'great' bass lake in Chicago.

If its about the fishing & catching,
then let them concentrate on location, baits and techniques.

if anything i've learned, bass don't care how fast you drove on the water to catch them.

Maybe that is the emphasis in an undocumented way...
For finals though at bigger lakes boats with a motor will be needed.

i'm glad it finally took shape.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Cranked said:
Do you really need more than a trolling motor as Tampier? Seriously man. I can swim the entire lake.
It's not a question of what do you need, it's a question of what do you have? HS bass clubs were encouraged to seek boaters from BASS clubs and those guys have bass boats. There is one captain and ideally 2 fishermen in the boat. That'll get pretty cramped with a TM-only boat. Plus, the tournament is set up so you can swap out contestants throughout the day. Your strategy and team particiaption should not be dictated by deciding if you want to run your TM across the lake to make a substitution. At least let them go no wake.

And you can't just take a 150 HP motor off without a lot of hassle so that is not a viable option. The T is already on a Friday which will cut out a lot of potential boaters and now they are going to schedule a lake that limits what kind of boat they can use? Overall, this needs to be arranged to make it convenient on boaters since they are looking for volunteers.

And yes, places do make exceptions. Many times special permits can be obtained for tournaments. I hope that they don't have any size limits for the T just like the Jr. Bassmaster tournament at Mill Creek this past summer. I'd hate to see a cold front come and shut down the fishing and have 3 fish get brought to the scale. I think I am going to email the guy at the IHSA and ask him these questions.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Rollcast said:
I would say Cook County will not lift the motor ban.

If we can't even have an outboard raised,
then I can't see them allowing outboard driven boats.
If this is the case, I am glad I did not get a team going and I might be shelving my plans for getting one going at the other school in my district for the future. If I can't even use my boat and be the captain, what is the point? I'd have been pretty POed if I spent all year prepping my kids for this and then find out we have to make other kinds of boating arrangements. Think I'll stick to Jr. Bassmasters.

This is really poor planning. I've been reading the material on the IHSA website as soon as its been posted and boats with motors fishing on motor-banned lakes was never mentioned.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I realize its high school and all, but if they just expand the area they are considering there would be many more lakes that would be better options. Options that allow use of large gas motors, have real launches, and are of a comfortable size. Driving for an hour or so shouldn't be out of the question. Its not like these tournaments will happen every week or anthing. Make is special, and do it on a real lake, not a man made preserve lake just because its close.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I realize its high school and all, but if they just expand the area they are considering there would be many more lakes that would be better options. Options that allow use of large gas motors, have real launches, and are of a comfortable size. Driving for an hour or so shouldn't be out of the question. Its not like these tournaments will happen every week or anthing. Make is special, and do it on a real lake, not a man made preserve lake just because its close.
Okay things you guys probably dont understand.

1. there are 214 teams fishing in the ihsa tourny.
2. thats 428 bass boat! :shock:
3. Sectionals is April 24th... this is what we are talking about. The top teams in each sectional then moves onto the STATE final down in Carlyle, May 8-9

What big lakes do you think could fit all of these boats realistically close to each school talking about an hour. The only up north lake I can think of that can fit close to 100 boats would be the chain... I can also think of Geneva and Delevan... but that would be Wisconsin and this is the Illinois tournament. SO I can see why we are limited to smaller lakes like busse, but seriously the lagoons can't fit 24 bass boats in my opinion and Busse woods is pushing it... Yes. I do think that if they do decide on the Lagoons and Busse as the "for sure" sectional location they will allow some sort of exception. Because we are allowed in the IHSA to use bass boats with outboards and trolling motors. IF they dont make an exception and the lagoon sectional is a row-boat or canoe tourny only, thats plain stupidity... atleast busse allows small motors and trolling motors...

·
Registered
825 Posts
Who said all the Ts had to be on the same day? Have two dates for sectionals. Also, why no Cal Sag or Kank? Those places suck up boats and have better fishing than Tampier. And the Cal Sag is not as dangerous as cooling lakes. I gotta teach chemistry now!

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
What will be interesting is how many schools actually follow through and field a team. The first year of anything involving this many people has a high potential to be a cluster f*ck.

BTW- If I'm not mistaken, don't they hold tournies on the Cal Sag regulary?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I really hope they do it at Busse and the goons, just for the photo ops! I just cant picute it working out though. There are so many places on the goons that would not be accessible to boats like that. And I believe only two of them have launch ramps. Same issues with Busse. Its too bad its not really a good spot for a shore tournament either, with all the trees and bushes around the shores.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.