Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made it out today around 1pm to track down Andrew and crew.

On my way down the path I ran into a seemingly somewhat discouraged Andrew....who informed me that the fishing had been kinda slow...but that he had still managed 1 earlier in the day.

Now Andrew's a pretty well accomplished river guy so to hear how the day had gone for them was a bit disheartening.

But it was a gorgeous day out...so what the hey...I bid him farewell and promised him a report and a fishing I did go.

Did I mention it was a beautiful day out? I counted 32 fishermen between shoreanglers surrounding the dam and more than a few waders out there :shock: Talk about some PRESSURE!

For the first hour I held tight to my "pattern" described in the post previous..I know Imma stubborn.
I think the repetition of it kind of jaded me..and an hours worth of casting and then doing nothing (as per the retrieve) desensitized my focus....because at one point I felt a little blah kind of tap...like a leaf had fouled the lure...and so I began to reel it in...when my rod tip went down forcefully.
About a foot and a half of line peeled off my drag before I had the sense to try and set the hook.

Too late it was gone.

And so with renewed focus I continued on :lol:

About 30 minutes later (yeah he was right... it was REAL slow) I felt the tic...set the hook..and fought a really nice smallie only to lose him on the jump shake about 5 yards away.

At this point I needed a break...so I went and grabbed a sandwich determined to return and do my best to avoid the

Got back out about 4:30 ish and on the fourth cast...

...and decided that was good enough for me and called it a day=)

FishPimp

What a phatty!

GoodFishin'

Darth

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Very nice that you can get out b/w all those anglers and pull in fish like that. I've heard from some serious river fishermen that an 18'' smallie from the river is rare and about as big as they get. You certainly blow that theory out of the water all year long.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I prefer "SithLord" but Zen Master works :wink:

Kidding of course! :lol:

Met up with WaterGuy this morning and only managed one 15"...he's still out there so hopefully he'll post some better results than that!

Thanks for the replies guys=)

·
Banned
655 Posts
I knew Darth would come through! :)

In what brief time we had, it was nice meeting you down there as well. Next time I'll stick around longer, fo'sho'. I did forget to ask you what your real name was... HAHAHA.

Matt, remember when I called you right after I left yesterday??? I told you that I ran into "Darth" and he was coming down into the river. :lol:

Next time. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.