Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone out there sets the hook again after the initial one? Was out today and managed to land 4 bass (12-14) and hooked up with another two, but both shook the hook (both way bigger than the 4 I landed). Also, wondering if it has anything to do with the light bit I have been encountering with plastics for about the past week and a half. Any thoughts appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, but I never set twice. I have seen others do it, mostly when unecessary and it results in lots of lost fish. Unless for some reason you totally miss with too much slack, I would not risk dislodging the hook. Just think how easy hooks stick in everything. It does not take much to stick the fish. JMHO. Trial and error is usually the best learning tool :wink:

·
Registered
702 Posts
i'd have to go with matt. i used to 'double set' when i started back into fishing and am pretty sure i lost fish as a results of ripping the hook out rather than firmly setting it. plus you run the risk of line breaks if using mono. if you keep your line tight when working the fish in you should be setting the hook more deeply if it can be anyway.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I think the only time I have lost a fish when I set the hook more than once was with a chatterbait. Any other time it was due to an insuffient hookset to begin with. It also depends on what u are using, in high winds trying to keep your line taut fishing off the bottom with jigs and plastics can be a challenge to get a solid hookset. Also, if bobber fishing the wind can make hooksets miserable, I dont set the hook like the guys on tv, so I just will make a little insurance snap, if I feel the first one wasnt sufficient.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
I started using the octupus circle hook for live bait and wacky rigging plastics. With those a hook set is really not necessary. With live bait I just start reeling and the fish hooks itself in the side of the mouth. Sometimes I can't help myself and try the Bassmaster hook sets with them and my hookup ratio goes way down.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
i sometimes give it a second yank. not as hard as the first one but just enough to know that it's embedded solid.

i lose fish not because of a bad hooksets but more because i didn't have the right size hook or the plastic slid down the hook and interfered with the set.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Drag should only make you lose a fish if you set it way toooo tight. Lots of people make the mistake (i used to be one of them) of thinking a fish taking drag is bad. Unless you are in heavy cover, a fish taking drag allows your rod to fight the fish and I have found my landing percentage is WAY higher with loose drag

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Gutterball is right on about the drag settings. For bass, usually with any type of plastic a more subtle hookset is best. Cranks & topwaters you may need to use a little more force, also depending on the species.
I've found on LM a lot of times you will pull the bait out of the fishes mouth if you try and set the hook too hard.

·
Registered
401 Posts
most the time with cranks, spinners, buzzbaits, etc i really don't have to set the hook with bass. most the time it's running quick enough to when they hit it they basically hook themselves. a light jerk, very subtle, and a quick raise of the rod to fight the fish with the tip high usually is sufficient. I don't lose too many fish so I'm guessing it is working. Basically... I agree with what jnap said. With LMB it's easy to pull the hook out or pull the bait right out of their mouth with too strong of a hookset. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I primarily encounter this when using soft plastics. On occasion spinnerbaits too (thats my own fault for not using a trailer hook). Don't think I have ever lost a LM on a crankbait due to the fish becoming unhooked (ok maybe 1 or 2 rarely happens). Got to learn to calm it down a little on the hook set with those plastics :D. Thanks again for all the advice!

·
Registered
401 Posts
also in my experience of using soft plastics... i've found that you're not missing hooksets, but the fish are smaller and don't get the whole bait in their mouth, they just get the tail. At that point you set the hook and just pull the tail right out of their mouth. When I'm at a lake where I'm repeatedly missing fish like this I'll switch to the 3" senko or other shorter smaller 3" plastics rather than the big 5, 6, and 7" plastics. When I do this I come up with tons more fish and don't hardly miss a hit, and the fish are usually between 7 and 12 inches.

553 Posts
I usually just set the hook once unless my line had too much slack. Although when I river fish for big catfish or carp I do set the hook twice. I also agree with the fact that when you fish lakes which have a lot of small fish using big/long worms isn't as productive for me because it seems like the fish don't get the whole bait in their mouth and when I set the hook I just yank it right out. :)

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
set the hook hard,make sure ur drag is set correctly and the bait is in the fishes mouth lol

·
Registered
339 Posts
Setting the hook, if it's what I remember, is all about feel. You know when enough is enough. It's like a pro basketball player shooting free throws, you just have the feel for it. So from what I remember once is enough. I've always thought that a lot of bass fisherman over do it. It's funny to watch those guys on TV rip that rod up and make a sound like they are trying to pass a stone.

·
Registered
107 Posts
what type and size hook are you using?... using a size 5 or 6 maxgap is best for any type of plastic worm or tube... the large hook size makes sure the hook is set well and makes it hard for the fish to shake it...and all size bass can suck a hook this size in their mouth... so dont worry about the smaller bass getting away, they wont... hope i helped

·
Registered
382 Posts
midwestmuskyhunter said:
what type and size hook are you using?... using a size 5 or 6 maxgap is best for any type of plastic worm or tube... the large hook size makes sure the hook is set well and makes it hard for the fish to shake it...and all size bass can suck a hook this size in their mouth... so dont worry about the smaller bass getting away, they wont... hope i helped
I'm assuming you mean 5/0 or 6/0, not a 5 or 6. The wifey uses a 6 for bluegills.

The other morning, I caught my first bass without using a bobber...waits for laughter to die down... I cast out a 5" Senko, let it drop for a few seconds, and flipped the bail. Immediately, the line grew tight. I gave the rod a quick jerk, noticed it was still tight, and started reeling in. The bass got hooked on the side of his mouth, in the real thin skinned section on their mouth. I think if I had jerked any harder, I wouldn't have a fish. I don't know how the TV guys jerk so hard and keep the fish.

Yeah, I know it's tv, and they don't show the ones that get away.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The hard hooksets r for jigs and plastics ,most other baits u just have to keep reeling and never give any slack line :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.